Mill Clamps...which?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a smallish collection of milling table clamps and fixtures but would like to expand.
Jergens, TeCo and Mitee Bite are a few that look well made and useful, but will probably go
with a Te Co set and a few Jergens. What is everyone here using and what do you like and would
like to buy? Some of these clamps/fixtures can get very expensive. What's good?

Also, how do some of you clamp small work that needs to get cut right to the bottom, say something like
a set of Jacobs wedges? Do you put a piece of sacrificial material on the bottom? wood, aluminum?

I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HGGS5K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Te-Co makes nice stuff and considering what is in their kits, the price is fair.

I made a set of wedges by using a long piece and screwing it (countersunk flat head screws) to a piece of scrap aluminum. Then I angled it in the vise to cut and slot it. Making them worked fine but they still bent when trying to remove a stuck arbor from an Albrecht chuck. Wedges suck!

I would like to buy a Te-Co set...... someday, but not high on my list. I got an import set for free & it works fine for me. Some pieces are rough like the threaded studs but I can't complain.

Some people use mdf as a sacraficial backing plate for general purpose. I've never used it myself & would never have thought to but I hear it's surprisingly flat.

Nothing really helpful from me here, mainly I just wanted to chime in & agree in saying that wedges suck. Had I known I would have never bought those stupid Jacobs wedges years ago. They have worked for me a few times but I still hate them.

Okay, that's two "wedges suck" votes so far ...

I forgot to add that the Te-co set I listed is for the forged version. Te-co makes a cheaper powdered metal version but I don't know anything about it. The forged one is really cleanly machined, good threads, T-nuts that actually fit as they should, etc.

Good point Mike. 20402 is the most common set, "for Bridgeports". The cheaper set is known as the promo kit that is 20402-PL. But I didn't know they were powdered metal, then again I never really paid attention as I wasn't ready to buy. I guess that's why people complain about them not being the same quality as their other kits. The promo kit also has a plastic holder. IIRC the promo kits used to go on sale for like $50-60 at Enco.

Pay attention to the p/ns when purchased, most places carry either or. Amazon sells both. MSC only has the promo kit.

Dammit, why did I have to read your post Mike, now I want to buy one! Zoro has them for the same price as Amazon, free shipping, but use GADGET4 to get you 20% off.

20401 would work better for me but it's not as common so not everyone carries them & it costs more. $75 more on Amazon for a kit that has smaller T-nuts! I have to mill them down anyway so 20402 it would be.

Mike can you confirm if your set has 7/8" nuts?

My kit has this one: http://catalog.te-co.com/item/all-c...410?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&filter=&by=prod

Intended for tables with 5/8" slots. The part of the nut that fits in the slot is slightly undersized so its a nice fit. The base of the nut is 1" wide.

I think you need the 20401 kit: http://catalog.te-co.com/item/clamping-kits/machinist-clamp-kits/20401#
The 20401 kit is intended for 1/2" slots and the T-nut is 7/8" wide.

Sorry about this, Will, but you have everything else ... why not a new clamping kit, too?

I inherited a set of import clamps (90s "vintage") along with a few Te-Co and another oddball or two. I can confirm that the Te-Co are much nicer than the others. Edges have been broken consistently, threads are smoother, etc.

When I was at my local nut & bolt supply place the other day I picked up a 3' length of black oxide 1/2"-13 allthread to make some more studs, and a dozen 1/4"-28 screws for the Pass-Along box, and I was still under the $5 minimum purchase. The threads on the allthread are cleaner than the ones on the kit studs. I'm just going to cut to lengths and then mill some flats for a wrench. Probably add them to the kit studs as well.

Anyway, point is it's cheap material and there aren't many simpler projects to make if you have time and don't want to spend the money on the full kit. You can make them as nice as you like. :)

Haha, not actually blaming you. I guess I have helped plenty of people spend money here & it goes both ways, that's what we do right. ;)

Sorry, my fault, I should have been more clear. I wanted to know about the flange nuts. Are they 7/8" hex? MSC say 1" for some reason but I think it's a misprint. Te-co documents does list 7/8" but I just wanted to be sure it wasn't changed or something like that.

I don't have a BP, not yet anyway. My T slots are 14mm so I have to mill them down which is no big deal. I know they do have a 14mm T-nut kit but that's even harder to find.

Haha, not actually blaming you. I guess I have helped plenty of people spend money here & it goes both ways, that's what we do right. ;)

Sorry, my fault, I should have been more clear. I wanted to know about the flange nuts. Are they 7/8" hex? MSC say 1" for some reason but I think it's a misprint. Te-co documents does list 7/8" but I just wanted to be sure it wasn't changed or something like that.

I don't have a BP, not yet anyway. My T slots are 14mm so I have to mill them down which is no big deal. I know they do have a 14mm T-nut kit but that's even harder to find.

This is the flange nut in my kit so yes, 7/8": http://catalog.te-co.com/item/all-c...605?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&filter=&by=prod

And the 14mm clamping kit: http://catalog.te-co.com/item/clamping-kits/machinist-clamp-kits/68002

As you can see, I'm trying really hard to spend your money!!

This is the flange nut in my kit so yes, 7/8": http://catalog.te-co.com/item/all-c...605?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&filter=&by=prod

And the 14mm clamping kit: http://catalog.te-co.com/item/clamping-kits/machinist-clamp-kits/68002

As you can see, I'm trying really hard to spend your money!!

Haha! Yeah, the metric kits are hard to find, not common so they cost a lot more.

14mm kit uses 10mm/.393" studs. I think people usually use 1/2" T-slot kits for 14mm table slots which uses 3/8" studs but it's a loose fit on the T-nuts, I don't like that.

I like the 5/8" kit cause they use the 1/2" studs. The 5/8" T-nuts have just enough room to mill down to .55" which is what I did to my cheap import set.

The 20401 kit has 9/16" T-nuts & 1/2" studs so less milling but it costs $75 more than 20402 because again not as common. I have no problem milling the 5/8" T-nuts down to .55" & save $75.

Thanks for confirming the flange nut size. 7/8" is perfect. I ask cause my wrench is 7/8" on one end & 3/4" on the other end, so it's perfect for the clamp set & my vise. Don't have to have another wrench sitting by. Yeah yeah, I know....

Awe man, now I just might have to buy the set. Going to wait till Moday though in case Zoro has a 30% sale for St. Patrick's day like last year. Crap I'm not supposed to spend anymore money this month. I have stop coming here. :dejected:

Back