Mill Drill 33686 Motor Bearings

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I rolled the dice with a Harbor Freight Mill Drill 33686 and crapped out. The motor bearings are screaming with less than 2 hours on the machine. By the time I built my table and started using the mill the 90 day warrantee (I thought it was a year) was up and they want $212.00 for another motor. They don't list any internal components for the motor. Has anyone changed these bearing on one of these motors and maybe could give me a Timkin or other quality bearing cross reference. I like to have parts on hand before teardown as I have a tendency to lose stuff while waiting for deliveries!

Take photos, get a clean work area. Get some baggie or containers and label every single thing. Take the bearings to a supply house and get the best upgraded American or Japanese bearings that are the same size. Also you could use an online supplier there are several helpful outfits. Good luck

You'll need to take the bearings out to see the size printed on them. I've ordered bearings thru JSB on Ebay and gotten them in just a few days.
Mark

When I took the belts off the motor and it still made a racket I figgured that was it for the motor. I started to remove the motor from it's bracket and discovered the bolts holding the junction box to the motor housing were loose. I tightened those up and the noise is gone. Sorry for the false alarm. I'm OLD! (but relieved)

This is strictly a FYI post... I bought a HF 33686 mill 2-3 years ago.
Went out a couple days ago. turned it on, just got up to running speed and popped the breaker.
Thouight maybe it was a motor issue(run capacitor, etc,etc)
Decided to start wit the simple fixes and work up.
Pulled the plug, stuck it in a 20 amp outlet and everything works great.
Maybe the 15 amp breaker is getting tired or 15 amps might be borderline for this machine????
Any thoughts???

Mines working OK on a 15 amp breaker but the motor specs says it draws 17 amp on 115V. I have a 115V foot pedal rated 15 amps that I use for power tapping on my drill press and the mill. It works fine on the DP but it sometimes sticks on when I pick up my foot with the mill. I'm thinking the contacts are welding due to the extra amperage. Needless to say it gets pretty exciting when the mill keeps going at the end of the thread so I don't use the foot pedal with the mill anymore.

This is strictly a FYI post... I bought a HF 33686 mill 2-3 years ago.
Went out a couple days ago. turned it on, just got up to running speed and popped the breaker.
Thouight maybe it was a motor issue(run capacitor, etc,etc)
Decided to start wit the simple fixes and work up.
Pulled the plug, stuck it in a 20 amp outlet and everything works great.
Maybe the 15 amp breaker is getting tired or 15 amps might be borderline for this machine????
Any thoughts???
I would check the connections on the switch and in the motor. By this I mean ONE wire at a time so they don't get mixed up. Take a file or sandpaper and rub the contacts. If they are crimped connectors pull on them and see if they pull out. I've seen so many times where a loose connection with cause problems like motor buzzing, popping breakers etc. these are the kinds of details you find over and over with HF machines. Not complaining, just sayin'.

Back