Mill/Drill table power feed

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have an Enco Power Feed on my Enco 105 mill/drill that when used for steel is run at very slow speed; probably 10% or less of the speed control lever throw. My question is would it be better to install a smaller pinion (fewer gear teeth) so the motor runs at a somewhat higher speed? Obviously more teeth on the X axis lead screw would accomplish the same result. There have been no problems with the power feed to date when used. All constructive replies will be appreciated.
Have a good day
Rock Breaker

Until it fails, I'd leave it alone. If it starts to stall (motor won't turn slowly enough) then it's time to look to fixing it.

If it is like most of the power feeds I have seen them there is not a lot of room to go to a smaller pinion, they are pretty small already.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mine is already a really small pinion that I think is the minimum teeth. The only place I think you can gear it down would be the big gear on the X shaft. Then you would have to space the unit higher. Personally it’s not worth it as it works fine right now.

Back