Mill Handwheel

aliva

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Decided to make a handwheel for my mill. Problem was to and find something the right size. I searched the net for an old tractor steering wheel problem was everyone thinks their made of gold and want ridiculous prices, not much under $75.00. So I decide to make one for the heck of it. My thought was to use 1/2" EMT conduit, problem was how do I bend it. I thought of using a conduit bender but again pretty expensive to buy for a one of project, I wasn't really sure it would actually do the job. So the first project was to make a ring roller. Now that conduit has been rolled to 14" dia. I have to weld it up. Well the next dilemma the EMT is too thin for arc welding even with 1/16" rod, I was afraid of blowing thru, especially welding the 3/8" spokes, so next thing to do it was to buy a small oxy-acetylene torch, and I'll braze it. So I picked one up from TSC Stores on sale, made by Hobart. I wanted one for a while but couldn't justify the purchase, now I had a excuse..
The end result I have a custom handwheel, a ring roller, and a new torch kit.298433IMG_20190715_104434168.jpg298435IMG_20190715_104501947.jpg298436IMG_20190715_104620843.jpg

Impressive work on the expedient ring roller!

Nice work, especially on the ring roller. As for the hand wheel, its nicely done but it seems a bit on the Large size! Do you think that may cause you any Interference issues?

I like the big handwheel idea, Just might steal the idea. Great job conquering all the obstacles.

I want to put a similar handwheel on my mill. Unfortunately I don't want to buy or build a ring roller.

Auto steering wheels can be bought cheap at your local Pull-A-Part.

Be near impossible to find an auto, or truck steering wheel that does not have a straight position.

Back