Mill is 3-phase 440v, I have 1-phase 220v - What kind of options do I have?

Check to see if there is an outlet in your area that deals in used electrical equipment. It's possible that they would have just what you need. It probably won't be as cheap as eBay, but you can at least inspect it before you buy and there won't be shipping charges. Try to find the same brand you have now so you can use the breakers you already have. Pay attention to plug-in vs bolt-on breakers.

Funny you should mention this. I just did a bit of checking and there is one place in town that might have something, called "Builder's Surplus". I may run over there this afternoon to see if they have anything I can use. Good call on making sure the breakers and such are compatible with what I have, those silly things get expensive.

Thanks,

-Ron

I've seen plenty of talk on the VFDs and RFCs but haven't gleaned enough information to make any intelligent decisions on how to, or even if I can, find a good solution to this little dilemma.

I just purchased a Wells-Index 860C mill from a dealer up in MI and we've yet to work out the delivery but I need to start thinking about how I'm going to power it. The mill is set up for 3-phase 440v but in my little one stall garage/shop I only have 1-phase 220v (and 110v of course).

Do I have any options for VFDs/RFCs or will I need to bite the bullet and call an electrician to run another line to my humble hole? I suppose that there would also be the option of changing out the motor(s) but wouldn't that create other problems with the power feeds?

Side note: I do have electronics experience though it dates back to discrete components and hasn't been used much in the last 30 years but I've never had to deal directly with power systems, especially not the kind involved here.

So, any help or advice would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

-Ron

Hello Ron.
If you have yet to reach a solution to running 3 phase motors from a single phase supply may I recommend 'Electric Motors in the Home Workshop' by Jim Cox.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Motors-Home-Workshop-Practice/dp/1854861336

And also Electric Motors (Workshop Practice)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Mo...2464/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y/278-1146272-6928456

There is a wealth of information in both.

atb, Ian

they do make VFDs that take 220 single phase in and output 480 three phase. I have three of them but they are only 3/4 horse. I was trouble shooting one and was amazed when i found out that the motor was three phase and that it only a single phase 220 feed was pulled to the motor. I dont know how but the thing works.

Back