Mill location dilemna..

Many shops set their machines at an angle rather than parallel to the wall. You have to consider the bed travel and anticipated work but it would reduce the required distance for removal of the drawbar.

The overarm is forward, but the arbor is not the issue. It's the drawbar that enters the spindle from the back. If the drawbar is in place in the spindle when I set the mill, it's not possible to remove it because of the wall.
I wrote arbor when I meant draw bar so my reply was confusing....sorry.

Depending on what you're doing, it's often common to move the overarm support back as far as it will go so it's out of the way. For that to be possible the machine can't be backed all the way up to a wall. If there's room for the overarm to move back, there might be enough room to remove the drawbar.

Two of the last three projects I did on my horizontal mill would have been extremely annoying if the overarms weren't pushed back flush with the face of the vertical column as I was constantly in there measuring and changing the setup. Some jobs probably wouldn't even be possible if the overarms weren't pushed back out of the way.

If you're only going to be doing work with an arbor mounted and the overarm extended, things are different. In that case I'd look at making a two-piece drawbar, or something along those lines so you could remove it if something oddball happens and you really want to get it out.

Many shops set their machines at an angle rather than parallel to the wall. You have to consider the bed travel and anticipated work but it would reduce the required distance for removal of the drawbar.
This was going to be my suggestion.

I’m trying to figure out an arraignment where I can put my Steinel SV4 on an angle and still have access to my end mill storage and such.

I really need a lot more room.

Haven't heard that in awhile. Yes she's fair sized, it came with the vertical head option which swings to the side when using the horizontal milling setups. Came with a ton of 50 series arbors and accessories.

Wow Mike, you have a big one :grin: ...

Back