Mill motor

I suppose I could try with the 1 hp motor I have. A 2 hp VFD would suffice either way.

That is what I would do. Try the 1hp motor but buy a 2hp VFD. If the 1hp motor falls short you aren't really out anything if you have to buy a 2hp motor. And you never know, a 2hp 3ph motor might show up on craigslist for cheap and fall into you lap! :)

Last edited:
This is what I would do. Try the 1hp motor but buy a 2hp VFD. If the 1hp motor falls short you aren't really out anything if you have to buy a 2hp motor. And you never know, a 2hp 3ph motor might show up on craigslist for cheap and fall into you lap! :)
When I was buying a VFD for my surface grinder with a 1.5 hp motor, the price of a 3 hp Chinese VFD was only $10 more than a 2hp version. Things change in the future. Be as adaptable as possible.

I too have a 1 HP motor on a 645 Index mill. Been running it on a I think it's a 1.5kw Delta VFD. Been in operation for over ten years now. I don't have a braking resistor either, a hand brake works fine for me for stopping when needed. It decelerates to zero in about 2-3 seconds. Original factory settings I'm running with. Have never had a problem with HP or torque loss during any cutting operation. I do have the option to change speeds by pulleys and belts. I have it set where max speed is at 70 herz and spindle RPM is about 1200. If this is of any help. Ken

I too have a 1 HP motor on a 645 Index mill. Been running it on a I think it's a 1.5kw Delta VFD. Been in operation for over ten years now. I don't have a braking resistor either, a hand brake works fine for me for stopping when needed. It decelerates to zero in about 2-3 seconds. Original factory settings I'm running with. Have never had a problem with HP or torque loss during any cutting operation. I do have the option to change speeds by pulleys and belts. I have it set where max speed is at 70 herz and spindle RPM is about 1200. If this is of any help. Ken
I use the hand brake because it'll take 20-30 seconds to fully spin down. The motor is a big ol' 2hp. The old style that looks like a 10 horse. Hence why it would be nice to have a electric brake and not wear out the brake pad. Which I've already had to shim.

Back