Mill Rite On Portland OR CL

This is in my area... I am new again (after a few decades) to milling machines. Is there something special about Mill Rite? I saw it and thought "looks small"... It's a weakness in my thinking that I clearly recognize- bigger is not always better, but I still drool over the machines that require two machines working in harmony to budge.

That's a nice looking machine, Millrites are often sought after for space reasons, not a Bridgeport but it will more then likely do anything the owner ask of it, slower then the big ones but still a treat, I won't part with mine!

Look up other tools that Burke has made, they are all winners.

Looks like that one has a (factory?) riser on it- desirable option for sure. I wouldn't mind an MV1 at all. Cute little machine.
Mark

I'd Ck it out with money in my pocket. Condition in picture looks to be excellent. The added riser adds a bit to value , the power feed and coolant more. If it's not tight on the ends of travel I'd own it if I were in need of a mill. Even at the list but I bet $1,250 would buy it.

Hi all, new here!
I actually ended up with this mill! So far it is a pretty fantastic machine. I dialed inside the spindle about 3/10,000 runout, so it seems really accurate! The owner threw in a chain hoist and a 6" mill he claims is a Kurt. I ended up paying $1300. Also, we discovered when we got there that it is actually a 8x36" table, not the 7x27!

However, the power-feed is non-functional. There are some electrical issues in the power feed that I'll have to mess with when I get a chance. The wires are all brittle, and even the limit switches inside are seemingly non-functional.

The coolant motor doesn't seem to work, though I have no idea what is wrong with it. I don't even see a power outlet for it, so I'll need to figure that out eventually! At the moment, drill oil fis sufficient for what I'm doing.

It took all day to get it out of my truck and in place in my garage, then a VFD ordered and wired up took another week, but she cuts metal! Currently only have cheap mills and collets, so the runout is disappointing (about 3 tho), but I have good tooling and at least 1 Hardinge R8 Collet coming.

Welcome Erich, lots of us are in envy of your acquisition. While I have no room in my shop, I'd dearly love to have one similar, warts (problems) and all. It's probably at least the equal to any other make of similar machine.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting something done on this. My research showed how good these mills are (in part this thread!), and at $1300 for a solid mill, I thought it was a steal! I'm always amazed at what some of the smaller Bridgeports around here go for, so finding this guy for an affordable amount was a really great surprise.

Back