[Metrology] Mill Spindle Mounted Microscope (aka Cheap Optical Comparator)

As I recall, they are stored in the same folder that the executable file is located. If you right click on the shortcut for opening the viewer, you should be able to select the file location. As I recall, this discussion came up in an earlier post. I have loaded on both Windows 7 and XP but I believe that others have loaded on Windows 8 systems.

That's what I thought. Maybe I did read it ? Anyway I doublechecked and the snaps I tried to save weren't there. I switched it to run in windows 7 compatibility mode, took some more photos and they then showed up in the DC Microscope folder. I also had a new file in the folder labeled settings which saved my camera type. It hadn't done that before. So I just left it like that. I had the same problem with amcap application that came with my camera, can't find the photos. It has a configuration file showing "picture path" (or something like that) and the path starts with "c:/ documents and settings/" but windows 8 no longer has documents and settings. I edited that config. but my pictures still didn't show up so there must be more to it than that. I don't really see myself using this, more just curious. I was actually seeking out some type of way to measure and/or compare, say like a sharp tip on an engraving cutter vs. a dull tip. My camera came with software entitled cooling tech which somehow would measure a photo (I didn't use it much other than load in XP). It seemed to work in XP but in win. 8 I couldn't get it to work. Tried compatibility in all options that were available (I had XP service pack 3 available, which is what I had it running on) but couldn't make it work on xp. If I ever get around to be able to wire burn carbide cutter blanks for a friend of mine a comparator for me is almost a must have because that's how he checks them. Some finished dim's have a little "leeway" (sp?) say +/- .oo2" where he had others they wanted say -.0002, which I thought was kind of nuts, and he did also, but that's what his customer wanted. For something like that you almost have to be able to blow it up 100 times. I suppose a measuring machine may do it but for the few I'd be doing I would never justify the cost. Another friend that I share the machinery with mentioned he's got a line on a comparator and I told him if we ever get the wire machine running and I get cutter blank work we'd almost have to have it.

Sorry, I have no experience with Win 8. I try to stay away from that newfangled software until I am dragged kicking and screaming in. Perhaps some of the other members has some insight. I am running Jim's software on XP and Win 7 successfully.

If you want to use the microscope as a direct optical comparator, you will need to calibrate it with a known good reticle. The camera came with a reticle but I don't know if I would trust it for accuracy. The Cooling Tech software that came with the camera does have a calibration feature which measures a distance in pixels and you enter in the actual distance in mm or inches. After calibration, it is important that the magnification not be change or you will lose your calibration. Jim's software can do the same as it displays the coordinates of the crosshairs in terms of pixels. You would then have to do the math to get your calibration factor. For a calibration standard, you can use an appropriately sized gage block. Failing that, a lathe bit previously measured withe a micrometer.

One issue with using the microscope as a direct optical comparator is the you are limited to measurements contained within your field of view. While you can zoom out to see the entire feature of interest, your resolution is still only going to be as good as you pixel count. If you are trying to measure a .25" part to +/- .0001", you have to be able to resolve to better than .04%. If your image is 1000 pixels across, you can't resolve to better than +/- .1%.

Another issue is that a cheap camera doesn't have a precision lens. Invariably, there will be distortion at the outer edges of the image.

I use mine in a different manner. I am running on a mill with a DRO and I center the crosshairs on one feature, note the DRO reading and move the mill to center the crosshairs on a second feature and note the second DRO reading. I can then calculate the distance between the two features. I use mine on the highest magnification and can resolve .0001" With this method, I can measure parts as large as 14".

Thanks. I'm pretty much the same as you when it comes to software. I was running xp until about a year ago. It was getting to be a bit of a hassle to use it because I was starting to get stuff that wouldn't work with XP very well and so many things weren't going to use it any longer.I was getting annoying popups in 8 from microsoft to update to 10 but I put a couple of their security updates and uninstalled them and chose to hide them (or something or other) to prevent the notices from appearing. I am currently building a 3d printer and was thinking at some point in time I could mount the camera to that and mess around with it. I just don't see myself using it but I wanted to mess around with it because I already had the camera. I think I got mine for $19 or something.
As far as my wire edm (my buddy owns it), he doesn't have 3 phase power so he's got a rotary converter to run the mill,lathe,surface grinder, but for computer controlled stuff we need something cnc rated (I guess that's the term). I keep at him and tell him just let me buy one but he knows a couple guys that have told him they come across used ones from time to time, so he's holding out for that, but that's been maybe 5 years or so. If I knew exactly what he wanted I'd buy it and just have it magically appear over there.

Just wanted to say i bought an opti-tekscope . I got the all silvery looking one. I like it alot better than the cheap usb one we seem to all be using. It was $79 so I better like it better. The increase is the camera seems quite a bit better and the stand works pretty good. I also found a software micam 2.0 which looks like would be good for people like me that can't get the cooling tech software to work (at least I can't get it to work with windows8). If you look at the micam software it has a pdf manual. In the manual you scroll thru a few pages of instructions and eventually get to instructions for using a usb camera. The manual seems well written by someone fluent in english. I just started playing with it. I got this camera mainly because I wanted to look at a needle on a stylus (think record player needle) up close. I was trying it with the cheap usb, but it's stand is useless. I did manage a picture of a stylus I was looking at. This camera you can have it pretty much any distance from the object and still get it to focus. Just thought someone may want to play with the software. It was free and you can use the cheaper usb "microscope" that everyone seems to be using.

Back