• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Mill vise build

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jwmay

Registered
Registered
So after a couple failed attempts at buying a casting, I came up with a couple slabs of cast iron that seem like a good start. So I’ve got some lines laid out, but I haven’t really committed to anything as of yet.

I thought I’d submit some pictures with the hope that some may point out any glaring issue with the idea. The intent is to end up with a 4-6 inch wide non swiveling milling vise that will open at least 3 inches, but have greater range by moving the jaw inserts, a la every other machine vise of this decade. Does what I have so far look about right? Anything I should be planning for jump out at you? Any ideas you think I should try to incorporate? I want to have this complete by August. Anyhow machining time availability is one three hour block, once a week. So that figures up to be about 60 hours. That seems like plenty of time, even considering my lack of experience and assuming I don’t discover I have to make something to make something to make something to make this. Which almost always happens. Lol

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]