Mill vise build

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So after a couple failed attempts at buying a casting, I came up with a couple slabs of cast iron that seem like a good start. So I’ve got some lines laid out, but I haven’t really committed to anything as of yet.

I thought I’d submit some pictures with the hope that some may point out any glaring issue with the idea. The intent is to end up with a 4-6 inch wide non swiveling milling vise that will open at least 3 inches, but have greater range by moving the jaw inserts, a la every other machine vise of this decade. Does what I have so far look about right? Anything I should be planning for jump out at you? Any ideas you think I should try to incorporate? I want to have this complete by August. Anyhow machining time availability is one three hour block, once a week. So that figures up to be about 60 hours. That seems like plenty of time, even considering my lack of experience and assuming I don’t discover I have to make something to make something to make something to make this. Which almost always happens. Lol

372FD08C-BA2B-41DD-A1A7-E54144F06AE9.jpeg

93B4CCC5-21C2-4068-AE52-8098D9E5327F.jpeg

4B5AB0CB-0864-47C9-A691-BED2D0068A41.jpeg

Back