Mill Vise, How do I know when I need one?

I do have a new 3” face mill and fly cutters. Maybe a good opportunity to learn more about them.

Are those jaw mtg. screws metric or inch?

That vise looks pretty substantial, and should not have a problem holding a part when taking only a .005 cut. Before spending any money I would carefully check over your current vise. It might be something as simple of a loose jaw plate, or placement of the part between the jaws. As mentioned, less likely, but certainly possible is the fact that one or both jaws are not ground properly. One or both could be thinner at one end than the other. If the jaws aren't parallel it would certainly affect its holding power.

As for the video it looks more like an advertisement that anything else. He's comparing a vise that sells for nearly $700.00 to one that sells for $200.00. That's like comparing a Hyundai to a Mercedes. I think in this case the differences are more typical of the price points than anything else. I would certainly expect better quality in the more expensive vise. Keep in mind one vise is triple the price of the other.

Another interesting point is that while he is commenting on the poor quality of the "made in China" vise one of his major sponsors in Chevalier. Guess where they're from?

Chevalier is Taiwan. Their top end surface grinders are wonderful. They also make super high end milling machines that run well in to 6 figures $. All Chevalier grinders are made in same plant in Taiwan. Now their balancing hubs are made in China but to a level of quality that would make USA made ones blush. Chevalier/Falcon gear is nothing to sneeze at, certainly not in same class as typical Chinese stuff being flogged to hobbyist and shops on a budget. Back to your regularly scheduled program now, sorry to drift off topic.

Back