Mill Vise, How do I know when I need one?

How much do you want to spend (have available to spend?) on a vise?
A new Kurt 6" is listed at ~$540.00 (free shipping included from All Industrial tool - google foo search using "Kurt 6" vise"),
Glacern "standard" 6" precision is about 410.00
Precision Matthews sells a standard 6" vise for $149.00 and their Homge precision 6" vise for $399.00

But, I think you should wait and see what the more knowledgeable folks on this forum have to say about testing / checking your current vise. Does you current vise have a brand name on it somewhere??

That vise looks like it already might be chinese. Identical to the China vise I bought on Amazon for $200 to use to rebuild my Hylo vise. Tore it down, cleaned it, deburred it, oiled, needed a .001" shim on on side, and it worked beautifully. It was junk, but it held 4140 blocks to mill to jaws, and even held parts of the Hylo vise at one point to clean up some surfaces. Then when I was done, I sold it for almost the same price I bought it.

Pretty sure it was one of these.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01MA...=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=6"+milling+vise&dpPl=1&dpID=41tAfTBhnPL&ref=plSrch

There's a thread of me rebuilding the Hylo and it's depressing number of drill holes and pot holes filled with JB weld.

Sure it was your vise and not the way the piece was being held.
When clamping a round part a V block is a good idea.
Parallels to prevent the part from dropping or tipping.

If the part has any movement, it will pop, and that is why your vise will appear to be slipping.

Great! That's the stuff. There is no name on this vise anywhere. Huk, you may be right. It sure looks like it. $179 for this vise brand new. I will take the advice I have been given and see what I find.
Bob, I had been cutting on a piece for quite some time, I moved it and was down to a .005 cut. The next thing I knew it slipped. I was milling with the jaws not 90 degrees. I will be very aware in the future. It seems to me the cutting oil may have lubricated the grip on the jaws.
Thanks guys. I will study this question of mine.
You guys are awesome!

Another option if you're convinced you need a new vise is Kurt's scratch and dent--$494 delivered for their DX6.

That scratch and dent option is a great way to save a good 10 to 15% with free shipping.
Decisions decisions.

When I bought my Kurt 6" it was free shipping Amazon Prime. The UPS man was not happy:grin:

If the part you're machining has opposing sides that are not parallel it might be causing it to slip. You can reduce the chance of this happening by using aluminum wire against the moveable jaw to keep the pressure even. A sturdy vise stop might help too. Even though they are more designed for location they can help the part from sliding in the vise.

Last edited:
+1 for the Kurt, I bought my vise from their Scratch and Dent offer. It only has one tiny mark. It works great super strong hold and accurate, you wont be disappointed.

Did anyone catch Dale's video on comparing Chinese vs. American vise quality?
He did not use a Kurt, I can't remember the brand-quick jaw release version.
Amazing how innacurate the Chinese vise was but he was able to surface grind it true.
If I had a surface grinder, a surface plate and the know how to use them maybe I could save $400 and fix a Chinese.
That still does not address the quality of the screw and nut.

Back