Mill Vise Improvements

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'll start with a picture.

IMG_20200621_212838478.jpg

Swarf, pulled out from the main screw. Swarf, pulled out from under the moving jaw. Swarf in places I don't want it to be. So, I'm thinking of a cover to go over the main screw & a moving dam to go under the moving jaw. I searched for what others may have done & found nothing. Any & all ideas are welcome!

The Kurt models have a plate that rides in the valley a little like the Y axis covers on a Bridgeport. Something like that could work well, I've considered it myself.

I used the plate that came with my Kurt DX6 until I cut myself wiping the back.
Sharp devil.
Now I just clean it between use.

My vacuum lives right next to the mill.
That and a small magnet is always within an arms reach.,

When you use a machine, you make chips; get used to it---- That vise shown is a poor design, with the screw exposed, that invites wear and jamming up; the Kurt vise has the screw completely protected from chips.

My shop vac sits wherever I happen to leave it, expectantly waiting for the hose to clog up with the tinyest thing. It has one of those corrugated hoses that just love to get stopped up.

The chip shield on the Kurt DX6 is a piece of garbage. I bought the vise 3 years ago kept the shield figuring I'd use it tried and tried always got jammed up against the back of the mill. I don't use it but I kept incase need some shim stock

Back