Mill Vise Improvements

The chip shield on the Kurt DX6 is a piece of garbage. I bought the vise 3 years ago kept the shield figuring I'd use it tried and tried always got jammed up against the back of the mill. I don't use it but I kept incase need some shim stock

Cut it so you have one piece 2/3 length and one piece 1/3 length. Put the 1/3 piece in from the fixed-jaw side, put the 2/3 piece in from the moving-jaw side. If you have a larger workpiece, swap them. Larger still. put both in from the fixed-jaw side.

The problem with putting it on the moveable side is it falls off.

Oh, I never #!*%@ noticed ;)

Yeah that ledge is tiny. I've taken to keeping a hex key for my vise stop on that part of the vise, and it does a fair-to_middling job of keeping that sheet of metal in place. Take some emery cloth to the edges of the piece and it won't be as dangerous to fiddle with.

I put a tube that fits over the vices's screw that has a flange welded on one end and that is bolted to the screws nut totally protecting the screw. About 1 hr. job.

The blue shield is the Kurt original. I wanted a shorter one so I wasn't hitting the mill column with the jaws near closed. Thought I would buy one from Kurt and cut it off. HDM690-249 and they list for $11.00. Problem was minimum order was $25, and I didn't need three more. So just made my own. 0.015" Aluminum. Has worked great...for years.

IMG_0768 (2).JPG

All great ideas! Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Just so busy. Of course I clean the vise between jobs - every time a part needs to come out actually. I don't usually find my vise opened so wide for a part. Therefor had not been concerned about the main screw before. I think I have just the piece of PVC pipe to slip over the screw next time. A friend is looking into an 8" Kurt for as well!

Would be nice if this shield was in 2 pieces that would slide over one another like cnc way covers. I haven’t looked at the underside of the moveable jaw but you could probably silicone one average sized piece there.

Back