Mill vise mounted to swivel Base?

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
When a mill vise is mounted to a swivel base, what keeps the mill vise from rotating or moving around the center pivot?

There is a concentric slot that lie underneath where the hold down tabs for the vise are. The bolts that would normally hold the vise down go in the slots to allow rotational movement but can be tightened to prevent rotation. The base has two holes (or slots) where the hold down bolts go which attach to the T-Slots in the mill table. There is a registration pin in the center of the rotating base for the vise to rotate about.

HAV5-partslist-web.jpg

Ok, that makes sense. Where can I get the bolts that hold the swivel base to the mill bed? I tried some of my clamping kit T/bolt/nut but that assembly was too high for the swivel of the mill vise. The mill vise would move about 15-20 degrees before it hit the nut.

Thank you in advance!

Ok, that makes sense. Where can I get the bolts that hold the swivel base to the mill bed? I tried some of my clamping kit T/bolt/nut but that assembly was too high for the swivel of the mill vise. The mill vise would move about 15-20 degrees before it hit the nut.

Thank you in advance!
Do you still have the packaging for the vise? Mine came with 2 sets of them.

Do you still have the packaging for the vise? Mine came with 2 sets of them.
I didn’t see anything. It’s a brand new Kurt D60....I just double checked the box and there is just cardboard.

I have some low profile nuts, which you might be able to find at your local hardware store. I am not familiar with Kurt regarding their bolts so could not tell you if they are metric or SAE. Sorry I could not be of more help.
If it was me I would take my nuts (well, the vises anyhow) and grind them down for clearance. Make sure you hold onto your nuts securely lest you lose them, then the wife will ask you what you are looking for and when you answer that you are looking for your nuts that conversation usually gets you nowhere...

Make T bolts from square stock turned to size; do not use hardware store nuts, they are small diameter and could chew up the slots in the base, if you are able, make the nuts with flanges that are large enough diameter to have good bearing on the vise base.

Unless you really need the swiveling feature, why not just take it off and use the vise without it? Most of us do that and the swiveling base sits on a shelf for decades or more.

A brand new Kurt? Did you by it from a vendor? I'd contact them or even Kurt then.

And then there is what Mikey stated, a bunch of folks don't even use them, me included.

I’ve got it.....maybe over time if I don’t find a real use for it, I will take it off. There seems to be a mixed vote of those that use and those that don’t.

Back