Mill vise "speedy" handle

Hi Evan,

Not a problem. I try to not get too detailed, but figure if I'm making a basic mistake, someone will correct me so show more detail than is probably needed. It's hard for guys with a lot more experience than me (no formal training, self-taught) to give me tips and tricks when the posting is vague.
Case in point are some sheet metal parts I made up a week ago. Bent them to a "U" section, then notched them in two places to bend it into a "C". Used a die filer for the post-bend notching operation. A forum member wondered why I didn't do the notching with the blank still flat. Good idea, wish I'd have thought of it! Funny thing is I have a 4-ton 90 degree notcher that was practically setting in my lap when I make the parts. I'll need to make a couple of sheet metal set up fixtures to use the better idea, but it's going to speed things up again for me.

Bruce
Bruce,
I realize this is an old thread, but I’m just getting around to thinking about building or buying one of these. The size of yours is close to what I’m thinking (6” or 3” lever point). The ones from SPI and Edge are a lot shorter (~4” and 2”). Are you happy with the length, ie. do you find it too long or does it interfere?

Evan

I made one of these about 4 years ago. I was limited by the length of stock on hand. My holes are 1 5/8 and 3 1/4 apart. In my 4" vise, on my PM25 mill I've not noticed a lack of tightness yet.

Edit: correct Typo

I should have added that my vise is a 6” Kurt on an 8” x 35” Enco “3/4” Bridgeport clone.

Bruce,
I realize this is an old thread, but I’m just getting around to thinking about building or buying one of these. The size of yours is close to what I’m thinking (6” or 3” lever point). The ones from SPI and Edge are a lot shorter (~4” and 2”). Are you happy with the length, ie. do you find it too long or does it interfere?

Evan
Hi Evan,

The length works out great for me at the 3" length. It could be a knuckle-buster at the 6" length doing full cranks. I generally just use the 3" position. I have three of them, one on a Jet JVM-830, one on my BP and one on a Tormach 1100. I pull them from the vises on the CNC mills if running a routine just for safety sake.

Bruce

Last edited:
Hi Evan,

The length works out great for me at the 3" length. It could be a knuckle-buster at the 6" length doing full cranks. I generally just use the 3" position. I have three of them, one on a Jet JVM-80, one on my BP and one on a Tormach 1100. I pull them from the vises on the CNC mills if running a routine just for safety sake.

Bruce
Bruce,
Thanks. That makes me think the Edge handle might be ok. I like the idea of shorter handles most of the time, but was afraid that 4.3" was too short to adequately reef on the vise.
Evan

Back