Mill wiring question

Typically a contactor is used as an electrical switch for loads which exceed the limits of a relay. It is better suited for handling the high inrush current of a motor.

A contactor will have a coil which is typically controlled by your on-off switch. Control voltage is typically between 24V AC/DC to 240 AC. You can identify the coil by two additional wires going into the device besides the 3 phases in and out (I cannot see these in your images, but it might be out of view). The contactor will likely have laminated steel plates as it is a big solenoid.

If this is the device in your panel, you would need to trace the coil to determine why voltage is not applied. If voltage is applied, but it is not starting the motor, then the coil is burnt out and the contactor should be replaced.

Bit of googling says this is in fact a contactor. See pics in this ebay link

You need to figure out what is wired to the two spade terminals and why it does not have voltage.

From more googling, the coil (control) voltage is 110/120VAC. This will likely come from the ON/OFF switch for the spindle motor.

Before replacing the contactor, find where the wires from the feed motors go, might be a separate power supply

There aren't any feed motors... the feed mechanism is geared off the same motor that drives the spindle... or that is the way I understand it, anyway.

Bit of googling says this is in fact a contactor. See pics in this ebay link

You need to figure out what is wired to the two spade terminals and why it does not have voltage.

There are no other wires going to the contactor... that may be why its not working...

-Bear

There are no other wires going to the contactor... that may be why its not working...

-Bear

That explains why I couldn't see them :)

This contactor is a great place to add a start/stop switch. You should be able to leave the RPC running the entire time and start/stop the spindle with this. It is made for that kind of use.

Back