Mill work light brightness question

dan2116

Registered
Registered
Have been looking at posts of machine work lights but wanted to ask what lumin range is best for a led light on a PM25-MV or like mill. Thank you

I have between 800 and 900 lumens on my machines but it depends on how far from the work the illumination is and how well focused it is. My distances run from3 to 15 inches from the work.

Thank you RJ. I was looking at a small led light sold by Northern tool ( 1050 lumens ) and do not know what is enough light and or too much. Think I will give them a try. Thanks again for your help.

I'm not a big fan of LED lighting because the engineers are still working on the daylight/natural sunlight formula. I'm more in tune with the correct lighting as I get older due to the quality of my eysight. I'm fortunate to have good eyesight but I do use reading glasses for up close and personal, so anything that produces light closest to sunlight (indirect) is what I like the best. I think all the energy saving lighting trends available today are good for making sure can find your way around without bumping ito things, but to date I haven't found anything but a flourescent bulb or tube that's suitable for close work. I'm speaking of the ones with a sunlight color rating.

I've got these on my machines. I bolted them on without the base. They do make a clamp on model too. For $10 you can't beat them. The hardest thing to do is eliminate shadows around the mill and these work pretty well since they're small enough and have along enough flex shaft to position them about anywhere.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

I have 2 of these 20 LED magnetic lights from Amazon on my bench mill. One on each side of the mill head to eliminate shadows. I have no idea how many lumens, but plenty more than enough. They also make a 10 LED model.

Tom
41gQJ3KbVNL.jpg

I ran onto a halo light with magnets that is placed on the bottom of the quill . Looks like it would work very well.

I have 2 of these 20 LED magnetic lights from Amazon on my bench mill. One on each side of the mill head to eliminate shadows. I have no idea how many lumens, but plenty more than enough. They also make a 10 LED model.

Tom
41gQJ3KbVNL.jpg
I have one of those too but find the light to soft. I believe I have the ten LED though.

Last edited:

Tom
41gQJ3KbVNL.jpg
I bought a 30 light unit looks like this.
I don't think it is that bright. Less than I would have expected.
Instead I recently added an articulating lamp with a 100w led equiv. I don't think the LED is giving 100w equiv since my light meter (photo light meter) barely moves betwee a 60w and 100w . But I think the daylight helped more.

I standardized on, 2 of the 600 lumen, LED bulbs (par 15) from Home Depot (Phillips) and Lowe's (Sylvania), with the standard bulb connection, then use a goose-neck lamp on both sides of the spindle.

Back