Miller Multi Magic 215

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
The last time I welded was in 1983. The time before that was 1974-1975, the year I graduated from Ygnacio Valley High School. Welding back then was either , Arc or Oxy. Acetylene.
Will the Miller be an all purpose hobbyists welder?
Aluminum, mild steel, I want a welding machine that will perform flawlessly and uses the latest technology to dial in, material being welded, thickness, readily available consumables, easy to read panel, quality construction..... etc.
I don’t mind spending the money, I just want the right fit.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't own that machine but I do have a Miller and can attest to their high quality, I doubt you would be disappointed.

I've been looking into getting this welder to replace my stolen millermatic 211.

The MM215 will mig steel and aluminum with a spool gun (not included). It will also run flux core wire with or without shielding gas.

It will stick weld. Just not 6010...which I've never run before.

It will not tig aluminum as it's not AC. Steel and stainless it will do. Lift start only no, high frequency start. You need to buy a tig kit for this machine. The nice thing is that it has a second gas solenoid for the argon for tig....so you don't need a torch with an argon valve one it.

Overall it looks like a great machine.

I've been looking into getting this welder to replace my stolen millermatic 211.

The MM215 will mig steel and aluminum with a spool gun (not included). It will also run flux core wire with or without shielding gas.

It will stick weld. Just not 6010...which I've never run before.

It will not tig aluminum as it's not AC. Steel and stainless it will do. Lift start only no, high frequency start. You need to buy a tig kit for this machine. The nice thing is that it has a second gas solenoid for the argon for tig....so you don't need a torch with an argon valve one it.

Overall it looks like a great machine.

I saw that you can order the TIG kit with the machine. It does appear to have everything you need.
I think it was $1,939 through Amazon With the TIG kit.
30 amp service 220 should do it right?
I am close to buying this one.

I thoroughly enjoyed TIG welding when it was part of my day job. If I had a need to weld, and the money to spend on it, I'd have a TIG welder today. Unfortunately I have no information (or recollection) about the welder I used.

Pm me if you want. There is one online retailer that bought my plasma cutter through (I have zero affiliation with this company)...they have the 215 for $100 less than everywhere else (or you can choose a free basic miller helmet). I read that the miller tig pedal is smaller than a standard tig pedal. There's another very reputable online retailer that sells a tig kit for the 215 that has US made tig torch with flex tubing, US made foot pedal and argon flow meter for $330. This is the route I'm looking to go.

30a service should be more than enough. These inverters aren't as power hungry as the transformer welders of similar size.

I've got a Miller 211 MIG welder, which has been doing a good job for me, it's good for up to just over 3/8"on 220V I believe. It also supports a spool gun for doing aluminum, but I haven't got it/tried to weld aluminum. I've also got a old buzz box for welding thicker stuff. If I was going to buy a welding machine today, I'd probably get a MIG/TIG unit of approximately the same power to see how TIG welding works vs MIG...

I saw that you can order the TIG kit with the machine. It does appear to have everything you need.
I think it was $1,939 through Amazon With the TIG kit.
30 amp service 220 should do it right?
I am close to buying this one.

30 amp should be plenty... but, if it doesn't have AC, you still won't be able to TIG aluminum...

To weld aluminum, you will also have to add a spool gun...

-Bear

Pm me if you want. There is one online retailer that bought my plasma cutter through (I have zero affiliation with this company)...they have the 215 for $100 less than everywhere else (or you can choose a free basic miller helmet). I read that the miller tig pedal is smaller than a standard tig pedal. There's another very reputable online retailer that sells a tig kit for the 215 that has US made tig torch with flex tubing, US made foot pedal and argon flow meter for $330. This is the route I'm looking to go.
You can name the place you bought it from.

Old Tony on Youtube did a great job explaining TIG in 2 videos. He has a HTP Invertig221 AC/DC. Man, what an awesome machine.
I am Looking at the Lincoln Square Wave TIG 200, Millermatic 215 W/TIG Kit and there is another...ESAB is the other brand. I would rather stick with Lincoln or Miller but for a Hobbiest I am pretty sure the off brands would do also.
Decisions Decisions. There is a welding supply local chain near me. They sell Miller and Lincoln. I think I will go talk to those guys and get educated before I pull the plug.
Thanks for your help.
I'm surprised there is not a Welding link in this Forum.

Back