Milling Angles...? Sine Plate Or Tilt Vise?

I'd like to suggest another option. I like and use a small machine vise on a tilting angle table that is perfect for smaller parts. Granted, I only have it for my Sherline mill at this point but I've done a whole load of stuff with it, and quite accurately, too. This allows me to grab the part sitting flat in the vise or on parallels instead of having the part angled in the vise.

An angle block set like Bruce showed above is good to have, provided the blocks are accurate. My set is an import set that I checked with a vernier Starrett angle gauge and its more than accurate enough for my needs. I use them to set the table angle in conjunction with a DTI and it works fine.

Granted, a sine vise will be more accurate but I rarely need that kind of accuracy. If I had a surface grinder then maybe I would use one. For milling an angle? No, haven't needed it so far.

This would depend entirely on the accuracy required, if seconds of an angle are demanded then a sine plate is needed, whole degree angles may often be accomplished with a protractor.

If the person that you are making a part for has the equipment to measure it and will do so then reject it as noncompliant then a sine plate is used.

If not just hold it in a mill vice at an angle or rotate the vice using the protractor then mill away.

Lee Valley tools also has a set of angle blocks:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32524&cat=1,43513,51657

They claim: "Each block is 3" long, hardened and precision ground to an accuracy of 0.0001" per inch."

at $43 USD ($59 CAD) it seems like a reasonable deal.
I had no problems returning the one bad tool I got from Lee Valley. (...out of the many, many I have purchased there!)

-brino

With a sine plate (or a sine bar, much cheaper) you don't have to use gage blocks if you trust setting adjustable parallels. Just a way to save a buck or two, but everyone ought to have a shop grade gage block set anyway. But often, for vise work especially, a bar is easier to manipulate than a plate anyway, IMO.

One problem I've had with the angle blocks is that my vise is small (2 in). Sometimes if I'm doing a steep angle the angle block takes up much of the space within the vise leaving little to clamp the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been considering gauge blocks and a sine bar, thinking I could fixture the work on the mill table. I have an aluminum plate the size of my table.

Last edited:
Problem is, gauge blocks are fairly expensive. And I just bought a new lathe.
So much to do! So little time! So little money!

2) Use an adjustable angle block like the $42 one from CDCO below. Set the angle block to the appropriate angle and hold it up against a vise jaw. Set the part in place and tighten the vise. Naturally the part will need to be wider than the angle block or you'll need to use some spacers between the moving vise jaw and the work to clamp it up.

This is the approach I'd probably use. However, if you have a swivel base you could set the angle, lay the part flat, and mill it that way.

Guys have had mixed results from CDCO. I've been very fortunate and only had one "buyer's remorse" case with a set of center line gauges for calipers. The instructions said that the stock diameter was 1/2", so close the jaws with the extenders in place, tighten the set screws on the caliper jaws and zero out the calipers, but add 0.500" to your measurements. The diameter is actually 3/8" . . . The little set screws were total garbage, but other than that they work fine for a $9 tool.

I've bought a 5-C collet chuck and two sets of 5-C round collets (1/64" step set and 1/32" step set), set of 5-C square collets, 2" indicator with a mag back, couple of mag indicator bases, set of TNMT 1/2" lathe turning tools, at least 50 250-201 QCTP tool holders, etc. etc. and haven't had any problems with any of that stuff. I think someone here posted having a problem with a mill X-axis power feed and wasn't treated well by CDCO on the return. Shars is another source of Chinese tooling, I've never had a problem with any of their boring bars, calipers, etc. purchased from them. Lots of options that unfortunately for the hobby machinist on a budget means supporting the Chinese economy instead of our own. I could never justify buying the 50 or so 250-201 tool holders from Aloris at $60 a piece when the CDCO's at $11 work fine. Good luck on your angle project!

Bruce

upload_2017-1-6_8-38-0.png

Back