Milling atachment for lathe?

Thanks Everyone for the input on this. I think Ill save my pennies and get a milling machine. Im in no hurry for one, so Ill keep my eyes open and hold out. Thats how I got my SB and it payed off.

Mark, I like the mount you made. I've been looking for a way to do some light milling with my 9" Logan.
i had wondered about an angle plate mounted on the cross slide then a compound mounted vertically to the angle plate...the work held in the compound?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Slotted-Angle-Plate-6-W-x-5-H-x-4-1-2-D/G9576

i would like to see what others have done.
What you suggested is exactly what I did. I tapped my xslide for an angle plate then mounted my compound to that for my vertical axis. I attached a 3/4" steel plate to my compound that was tapped with a pattern of 3/8x16 holes for clamping big or odd shaped items. I also used those holes to mount a 4 inch milling vise. In the third pic I'm milling the slots in some new fingers I made for my steady rest to hold larger stock. If you look close you'll see a curb under the vise. I milled a 3/8 slot in the 3/4 inch plate that's true to the spindle and bed so all I have to do a drop a part or the milling vise onto the curb and it's true within .001 without indicating it every time. The curb is 3/8 keystock that's inserted into the slot. The lathe is a Grizzly G4003G.

DSC_0864.JPG DSC_1071.JPG DSC_1062.JPG DSC_0832.JPG

Back