Milling Glock long slide 10mm

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have been working on my plumbers motorcycle for him and he has seen my milling machine. I do all this work for free. Well he said he has a Glock long slide 10mm that he wants to lighten up the slide on. He says the front of the gun is too heavy . I have never milled a Glock slide. Can anyone help me with the milling of this? Type of tooling, speed, feed rate and any other info that will help me from failing. He said maybe one long over on top of the slide and holes drill on the side of the slide. I don't mine buying new tooling. All I got is different size end mills.

Long slide Glocks from gen 3 up feature only one lightening feature, a so-called "coffin cut" in the forward part of the slide on top that exposes the barrel. It's worth about 15 grams, and supposedly brings the long slide down to the full-size weight. Glocks cycle straight, so if he's feeling "weighted" up front, it might be the factory recoil spring is too heavy. Depends on your ammo and your grip, but dropping to a 14-lb spring for starters will help the forward droop feeling when the slide clicks back into battery. So don't go crazy with removing metal.

glk-6286-g34-gen3-1.jpg

Thanks that is a big help. The biggest carbide end mill I got is a 1/8. Do you know how that was cut? Drilled out then cleaned up ,one big end mill .Any info will help me out.I don't want to mess this up.

That is funny, and both of you are right.

The Glocks are probably cut by EDM at the factory, for a number of reasons. The ejection port is obviously EDM and the bevel is mill finished. The frame internals are entirely EDM. But in your own shop, you can cut it any way that works. I'd probably use a 6mm end mill and route it out. There is nothing to collide with underneath, so it's a safe operation for the part.

These days, you don't see anyone with a hogged out slide winning matches. Those guys you see with the swiss cheese guns in open divisions either aren't winning, or they are at the bleeding edge of the platform. For example, single stack shooters pull this stuff because they're bored with their platform and their boring .45 ACP race guns. Instead, look at what is being done in limited. You don't see such holy crap there, because it's a competitive division and people shoot what wins.

If you want it to look like your picture. You want to check the radius on the corners with a gauge. What radius gauge matches double it for the tool diameter. Then measure the opening.

This is a carry outdoor gun. This guy is in the woods all the time. He works so he can stay in the out of doors.I will give the coffin cut a go and tell him to try it with the new spring suggestion.

Oh, a carry gun. Start modifying those, and you'll possibly get an opportunity to hear a good prosecutor or district attorney convince the jury that you're a gun nut who files on his weapon in the basement during the wee hours and fantasizes about killing people. Yeah, I don't ever modify any carry gun for that reason alone. Massad Ayoob warned about that long time ago. Just a heads up, but it's still a free country, so do your thing.

Back