Milling Glock Slide

bluepythons

Registered
Registered
Hi guys

Has anyone had experience with milling Glock slides? They have a hardened finish tennifer/melonite. I know I will need carbine end mills and fluid but seeing if anyone has any advice or tips. I have a bench top mill which I am guessing will require slower work and light passes. I'm mainly interested in doing additional slide serrations. I know some have done optic mount cut outs but the radial cut and pins would be a challenge for me and may farm that out to CNC shop.

Thanks!

Hi. Im relatively new to maching, but recently cut front and top cocking serrations on a Glock slide. I did have to use a carbide cutter and if memory serves i ran at about 700 rpm. I think the final depth i went to was .015 and maybe i removed .005 at a time. With my limited experience, im learning every day, i think the results were great. Knowing how long ive been playing with a mill (not long) id guess you wont have any issues. Good luck.

Vince when you say you had to use a carbide mill does this mean you tried a HSS one and got poor results?

I am because a mate is asking me to mill his glock slide and I would have thought that the slide was not hardened since it endures a lot of shock movement and I would expect a hardened slide to crack easily.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I tried HSS first and it did not cut at all; probably just marred the surface would be how to describe it. I read Glock slides are very hard. Somewhere i heard they were on the order of 50 rc or harder. I have no knowledge as to how Glock makes their slides, but i know a carbide cutter handled it easily.

I tried HSS first and it did not cut at all; probably just marred the surface would be how to describe it. I read Glock slides are very hard. Somewhere i heard they were on the order of 50 rc or harder. I have no knowledge as to how Glock makes their slides, but i know a carbide cutter handled it easily.

Probably that wonderful Tenifer finish they apply. Some firearms instructors like to take a screwdriver or other metal implement, and forcefully rub it back and forth on the slide surface of Glocks in order to demonstrate their durability.

I did use a little tapping oil. Not sure it was really needed, but i tried some anyway. ill try and attach a pic later...

I had to thread a barrel with that tennifer/melonite/hardshit coating once, I thought my carbide insert was going to shatter before I got it under the hard skin but once under the metal cut and threaded easily. IIRC it was a Sig barrel.

Back