Milling head for Atlas Craftsman 101 (12 in) lathe to 2 in 1 conversion?

Sigh.

"Blunt".

So much for "The Friendly Machinist Forum!"

I'll be sure not to ask stupid questions in the future. No sense risking "blunt" answers.

Lecture over.
It should also be pointed out that some things, like squaring up material, which one might think are only possible on a mill can be easily accomplished on a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck.

From round stock on my 100 year-old Seneca Falls Star.

If you want to see the lengths some of us have gone to when in your situation.

We’re all routing for you but much like when someone says they’re getting a great deal on a new lathe on eBay we’ve seen how this plays out.

If you haven’t already get very familiar with your lathe and all the different operations that can be done with it.

Reach out in the mentors section and see if you can find someone local who’s shop you can visit in person.

Keep searching on here for information on your project, you’ll find plenty.

And most important, pictures. We need pictures;)

John

Thought this forum had rules about disparaging comments.

I think you may be reading more into his comment than was intended. All of the 3 in 1 machines are imports, not 1 vintage USA made that I am aware of. Most of them come from China so violate your nothing cheap from over seas request. Based on specs and the issues owners of 3 in 1 machines describe, it seems you often are better off with a mini-mill. When you look at the capacity of the mill on most 3 in 1 machines you are generally looking at a very compromised mini-mill.

The superior form of 3 in 1, seems to be using a separate mill head attached to the back side of the machine as you see on some European machines Emco, and Proxxon offer milling heads for some of their lathes.

The type where the milling head is run off of the lathe motor like the Smithy's seem to have far more issues, a big one being a very high minimum spindle to table height so small parts may need to be raised very high up.

If you are dead set on making a 3 in 1 style milling head I'd think a damaged round column mill, probably one of the smaller ones like an RF-25 would be the way to go. Just mount it to the backside of your lathe and figure out how to synch it up to work with the lathe carriage as the X-Y table.

This is a Unimat but I see no reason you couldn't do a jumbo size version of it. Emco offered similar set up on their larger lathes up to at least 11".

1669225878469.png

I'm not saying it is a great idea as I don't think it will save you much space or money, but I think you could make something superior to the Smithy 3 in 1 machines going this route.

The attached vid show what I had (or have) in mind. The frame can be built with more rigidity (triangulation especially left and right) and still be removable using cheap structural material. If I were to build the head, I would use the spindle and its bearing from a Atlas/Craftsman 101 lathe to allow me the use of the #3 MT and a drawbar. A much different motor, mounted much differently would give me adjustable speeds. Pretty certain I can mount the table to the pintle on the lathe's saddle, with "out-riggers" to clamp it onto the lathe's ways.

Not as convenient or strong as a full sized Mill, but takes up less space, costs less and the size will be sufficient for the small work I do.

I'm only posting because this is so similar to what I had in mind.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
CPO Ted - Cleaver conversion shown in that YouTube video. Thanks for sharing.

Could you somehow adapt the aftermarket vertical milling attachment for the Atlas MFC horizontal mill?

CPO Ted - Cleaver conversion shown in that YouTube video. Thanks for sharing.

Could you somehow adapt the aftermarket vertical milling attachment for the Atlas MFC horizontal mill?

Larry, I'd never seen that before. It is very clever and there are more then a couple good ideas there. I had thought of something similar, but mounted in place of the tail stock and using its own power supply. Building the machine like that puts all the cutting loads over the base of my lathe and not over an open, unsupported void. Your post certainly is relevant to the question I asked. Thank you.

I still say though, the first thing is to sit down with a pencil and paper, and add up everything. Literally everything. From the biggest ex[ense, right to the littlest detail.

VERY good advice. I've owned 2 of my own businesses and built and raced sports cars for over 12 years. That is the only way I do almost EVERYthing.

If you haven’t already get very familiar with your lathe and all the different operations that can be done with it.

And most important, pictures. We need pictures;)

John

The lathe is not a new purchase. I've owned my Atlas/Craftsman lathe for 25years+ ... and I have several chucks, including two - 4 jaw. Although I am still learning, I have a pretty good idea what my old lathe can and cannot do. If I work slowly, take light cuts and have a lot of patience this lathe can do quite a lot. You are very correct about facing on the lathe.

No pictures, no build threads. I don't do "blunt" and condescending very well.

Last edited:
Back