Milling Lever Lock Picks from Single Piece of Steel?

Further to my post #29, here are a couple of ejector pins that I have.

ejector pins.jpg

David

Further to my post #29, here are a couple of ejector pins that I have.

View attachment 266572

Sorry for the second post for some reason this site seems to be hanging up today.

David

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I'm happy to hear you like the thread Kiwi. The Chubb AVA is on my list of locks to build a tool for. Currently I only have the AVA padlock but I'm looking to get the Chubb AVA 4L67 and once I get that I'll start working on the tool.

I went ahead and ordered some 0-1 drill rod in various diameters. I also looked into the straight ejector pins and those may work as well. I'd like to do the heat treating myself but if it doesn't work out I'll look into having someone else do it for me. For now though I'm gonna wait for the 0-1 to arrive and start gathering materials to build a small forge.

I'm not sure how the thin diameters of what I'll be heat treating will affect time in the forge or tempering. I'm guessing the material won't need to sit in the forge for very long. As ASM mentioned I am a little concerned with having the thin material warp during the quench.

I found this link to a guide to heat treating 0-1 from the Hobby-Machinist forums. Unless there are other suggetsions I'll probably use this one for reference.
http://www.threeplanes.net/toolsteel.html

In other news I finally got the Sherline rotary table setup on my mill. It took some modification to the base plate to get it fit.

Had to drill two 12 mm holes for it to fit the mill. It pretty rigid using just the two holes but I'll likely add two more to the front as well.
xPZ4ILsl.jpg

s8I0yNel.jpg

Back