Milling Machine DRO, 3 axis or 4? (Poll)

How many DRO axis for my Bridgeport?

• Total voters

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am thinking about adding DRO to my Bridgeport and am thinking of the table x and y. The third axis is the knee. Would I regret not having a readout on the quill? I would rather do it right the first time than do it twice. I have absolutely no plans at a CNC conversion. Give me your thoughts and a vote.

And I am looking at the DRO Pros magnetic scale packages. Any input on these would also be appreciated.

:thankyou:

Last edited:
I know a lot of guys will tell you different, but I use all 4. I would look at the el700 with a discount on the new touch probe. They did not have the fourth axis or probe when I got my el400. So I settled on that one with 4 axis. I like the fancy images on the 700. Really looks simple. I love what I have, but I would do it different now. My 2 cents.

IMO: X ,Y and the quill need DRO. The head or knee... -not so much. I don't have knee mill; instead, I raise/lower the head (different way of accomplishing the same thing). I have DRO on the Z (head) axis on my mill and don't think I've ever used it in the last 5 years.

The real rub is that a mill with DRO on the X and Y with a caliper on the quill is still called a 2 Axis DRO setup...

Ray

I know a lot of guys will tell you different, but I use all 4. I would look at the el700 with a discount on the new touch probe. They did not have the fourth axis or probe when I got my el400. So I settled on that one with 4 axis. I like the fancy images on the 700. Really looks simple. I love what I have, but I would do it different now. My 2 cents.

Thanks Lee, You have given me some good info to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO: X ,Y and the quill need DRO. The head or knee... -not so much. I don't have knee mill; instead, I raise/lower the head (different way of accomplishing the same thing). I have DRO on the Z (head) axis on my mill and don't think I've ever used it in the last 5 years.

The real rub is that a mill with DRO on the X and Y with a caliper on the quill is still called a 2 Axis DRO setup...

Ray

Ya know Ray, you may have a point. My machining process would have to change but, it is worth thinking about. Right now not having DRO at all I find that I control my z-axis accuracy with the knee. But if I just had a DRO on the quill I might find my operational process being a little different. Thanks.

X and Y axis are nice to have a read out on, But the knee is the easiest to keep track of and the axis you just don't move unless you have too. You don't bore with it, drill with it or plunge with it really since you have very little feel due to the weight of the knee, table and work. I think adding a readout to this axis is just for showing off.

As far as a quil readout, I like the add on ones that are basically a digital caliper. They are cheap, work well and when they break they are easy and cheap to replace. A real DRO scale is pretty expensive.

I guess I'm the odd ball here. I have a 2 axis glass scale DRO from DRO PROS on my BP. If I had to do it over I think I would get the 3 axis so I would have one on the knee. I like the fact that the DRO's are very easy to read, no eye strain. I also like the idea that all of my readings are in one place.

I recently installed a AccuRemote (purchased from David H) on my quill and really like it. I think it will be good for setting up on blind holes etc.

At this point, I am considering adding on last one on the knee. It just seems to make a well balanced system.

My thinking is to not only get most out of the machine but to also get the most out of me.

Just my opinion.

Paul

I voted for 4 axis but ONLY if the display is capable of summing the readouts from the quill and the knee.

If it doesn't sum those two readouts then the result is no better than the old optical measuring devices such as the Vernac meaning you have to do the math.

I'll go with a glass scale 4 axis with summing on one of my Gorton mills and I'll go with the optical Vernac for a period correct setup on my other Gorton mill but only on the X the Y and the knee trusting instead the fine micrometer adjustment for the quill.

I put a 2 axis Anilam on my BP and am very sorry I didn't pony up the extra for Z on the knee
I agree that the caliper type read outs on the quill are a good bang for the buck, even the home brew versions.

Thank you guys, you all have some good ideas to think about. But, I am seeing a trend here and it has to do with how you use the machine. On a particular set up I may run the knee up and down several times to get clearance for tool changes. I like to keep the quill locked in the up position to keep things rigid, unless I am using it as a drill press or boring. I have not found that I am boring or drilling to accurate depths, yet. So, if I understand the poll, I should add 2 axis and make do with the knee as is and add something inexpensive for the quill. Or add a 4 axis and have all my bases covered or as one already put "show off". Thanks guys good stuff.

I just don't want to do this and come up short. Once is enough.

I just recently added the quill and knee to my mill. I didn't really know how useful it would be until I had it installed. It seems to speed up some positioning operations. Also, if you have a 3-axis CNC the DRO on the knee allows you to make quick depth corrections on the fly.

Back