[Newbie] Milling Machine Questions

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
Here we go again Ive found a Gorton milling machine with duplicating head for tracing parts pretty much, model 8 1/2 d. Has a b&s #9 taper with a quick change collet and a set of 6 collets 1/8-3/4" and 1 collet for duplicating head 3/8. I know that B&S #9 Tooling is hard to find but with collets should be able to use standard tooling. Did read that you can have the spindle reground to R8. The price is $650, but I'm worried that if will be limited, plus And I have found several BP for 3 times the money. This is a difficult decision, need some help from you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some better pictures. I know you can nod the head but what worries me the most is that fact that I really don't have any experience with these mills, have only used BP type.

PM Leeko.
He is a member who occasionally frequents HM.
Big Gorton fan.
Lives in your area.

Daryl
MN

You don't have to use it in duplication mode, stick a vice under the quill and pretend it's a BP. But if you want to duplicate something, you're in business. Turn a knob on a 3/8 shaft the same diameter of whatever cutter you use, put in a ball end mill and start at the top and increment down .020 at a time, (or crank the table up .020 at a time)

I've had three 9J Gorton mills over the past 35 years. They are nice mills. They are not as versatile as a Bridgeport, but the precision of the mill can't be beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

LittleMachineShop.com has the best price on BS collets

Back