Milling Machine Vise , 4", VA-4 by VERTEX

Can you look and see if it has an ACME lead screw?

Thanks,
Gary

YES I will, let you know something tomorrow. I have just about finished some keys for the vise. I have been preoccupied with some other activities outside the shop, getting the garden plowed and disked. Had to work on the plow, then the tractor , then the disc, then the trailer crane to lift the disk and so forth on and off the trailer.

Can you look and see if it has an ACME lead screw?

Thanks,
Gary

I looked at the vise screw, it is not an ACME screw thread. I was not able to measure it, looks to be a large fine thread. I will try to find the time to do a tear-down and make some pictures. I can tell you that when I made the keys for the vise, the stock i used was very close tolerance material. I had the vise "dialed in" with respect to the mill axes. I used my best parallel in the vise to support the stock. The keys had to be cut down to 12mm for the portion of the key that will engage the mill table slots. The keys came out very close in tolerance from one end to the other. This tells me that the vise is not grossly problematic. I have not taken the time to get out the "Bestest" to check it over real good. But i will as soon as I get some other chores completed.

I looked at the vise screw, it is not an ACME screw thread. I was not able to measure it, looks to be a large fine thread. I will try to find the time to do a tear-down and make some pictures. I can tell you that when I made the keys for the vise, the stock i used was very close tolerance material. I had the vise "dialed in" with respect to the mill axes. I used my best parallel in the vise to support the stock. The keys had to be cut down to 12mm for the portion of the key that will engage the mill table slots. The keys came out very close in tolerance from one end to the other. This tells me that the vise is not grossly problematic. I have not taken the time to get out the "Bestest" to check it over real good. But i will as soon as I get some other chores completed.

Thanks! I've noticed lately that they have started using regular screws on vises. I've always thought that acme were better since the thickness of the teeth would allow the to last a lot longer.
Don't go through the trouble of testing your vise on my account. I've actually just ordered a vise last night.

Thanks,
Gary

Before I ordered my vise I asked them if it had an acme leadscrew, and they said it did. That's why I ordered it.

Just got it today, and just a regular screw not acme! Back it goes.

Before I ordered my vise I asked them if it had an acme leadscrew, and they said it did. That's why I ordered it.

Just got it today, and just a regular screw not acme! Back it goes.

which vise did you order Gary?

Here are some pictures of the vise parts , I took it apart and cleaned everything. The only modification I did was use a dremel tool with the proper size "ball" grind stone to polish the area that the "half-ball" engages. Dabbed some grease on the half ball, lubricated everything with way oil, and put it all back together. All the parts were accurately ground as best I could tell using my mics.

image (2).jpegimage (3).jpegimage.jpegphoto (2).JPGphoto.JPGphoto (1).JPG

image (2).jpeg image (3).jpeg image.jpeg photo (2).JPG photo.JPG photo (1).JPG

Back