Milling machine x-axis power feed recommendation

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Is this a decent x axis power feed for a Rong Fu mill (RF-30 clone) LINK

It's $180 or so on Ebay. Looks just like all the other ones costing twice as much. I saw the Align AL-500D ($350) and it has more torque, but I'm not sure I need a high torque one (or do I?). I also saw a ALB-310SX on toolots.com for about $266. It seemed to have the same specs. as the $180 one.

I'd like to mount it oriented in the horizontal position, so it's doesn't hang down, but just sticks out along the x axis.

Thoughts?

i have a similar make of drive, mine is the high torque version for a BP mill
since you have a smaller table, you'll be ok i think with a normal torque version
they pretty much have the same construction, the motor is a bit beefier on the HT models
the import power feeds all have nylon gears

i found this too to compare

Last edited:
i have a similar make of drive, mine is the high torque version for a BP mill
since you have a smaller table, you'll be ok i think with a normal torque version
they pretty much have the same construction, the motor is a bit beefier on the HT models
the import power feeds all have nylon gears

if i'm not mistaken, there is a kit to mount them horizontally at littlemachineshop.com
Thanks, Mike. The nylon gears are probably okay, since they will break before anything else does.

I couldn't easily find the kit at LMS.

Thanks, Mike. The nylon gears are probably okay, since they will break before anything else does.

I couldn't easily find the kit at LMS.
i edited my post check this link

i edited my post check this link
Thanks! I saw that one, but couldn't find it again. Looks like it will mount the way I like, correct? I don't have much room under the table to have something hanging down, but I have room to have something sticking out.

i have not mounted one horizontally, but the description and drawing shows horizontal mount

i have not mounted one horizontally, but the description and drawing shows horizontal mount
I thought so too, but the drawing is kinda wonky; they rotated it, I think, to show it better, but it looks like it's mounted horizontal and also 90 degrees from where it should be. I just ordered it, so I'll let you all know.
It was free shipping and this looks just like the other ones, but has less torque. In fact, all the images for these seem to be the same one, even though all the sellers are different. And, they all ship out of the same warehouses.
I've got these all bookmarked in case this one's a dud.

i'll be watching, i'm very interested to see how it works out for ya!
let me know if i can aid in any way

Power should not be an issue. When I bought a used Grizzly RF-30 clone some years ago, the motor was shot. Replaced it with a 28V drill motor I found at Goodwill, connected with a cog belt. I'm pretty sure the new motor was a lot less powerful than the original. But it did a good job the entire time I owned the mill.

As for mounting, mine was horizontal, and as far as I know, that's the "only" way you can retrofit to an RF-30. The mounting bracket clamps to the web between the table slot and the end of the table. Here's a (somewhat poor) photo of mine:
P07.kHPIM0238.jpg

Back