Milling machine

raptor2013

Registered
Registered
I am thing about buying a milling machine but what one. I am looking at the grizzly 9901 or the Bolton xz1048.
I know about the grizzly but nothing about Bolton mill. any one know about the Bolton mill.

It seems like if you want to buy Chinese, Precision Matthews is the place to go. I've seen how Matt cares about his customers and his service is first-class all the way; I doubt you would get that kind of service from the other guys- He doesn't sell the very small mini-mills though. I would stay away from Horror Fright. People seem to like Griz more than Bolt, but I've heard complaints about Griz too- Little machine shop has some nice little mills and they have a good return/service policy. I've heard good things about MicroMark. (no relation)
Mark

I wouldn't say that about HF mills , the mini mill I won't say anything cause I've had no contact with those. But there drill mill is as good as any China made. There bigger one call it big red is the exact same one grizzly and jet and others sell. With the often 25% coupon will knock off several hundred dollars. And there trucking prices are extremely reasonable. For the hobby there workable. I own the drill mill and an enco copy of there red mill.

Fellas - I don't think raptor2013 is talking about a mini. The G9901 is a knee mill (more-or-less a Bridgeport clone) with a 9x42 table.
Raptor - I don't have that size mill, so all I can do is tell you that Precision Matthews is well thought of on the forum. Best wishes for your search!

You may want to check out the only American Made machine and they are a great machine. Parts & Service is in Michigan.
http://www.wells-index.com/ It may cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for.

@raptor2013,

First, Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!
I am glad you found us. You will find lots of friendly folks here that are willing to help with any questions you have.

As @hman said Precision Matthews is highly regarded here on the forum.

Much of the answer depends on what your projects are.
The size, precision, operations, etc. will all feed into the mill and accesories you need.
If you can provide a hint at your uses for it you'll get better and more comprehensive feedback.

-brino

Congratulations!
Got any pictures?
-brino

Back