milling the base plate on a cdco QCTP on a grizzly g0602 possible?

upTheHill

Active User
Registered
i bought a QCTP from CDCO not realizing that the base needs to be milled to fit into the g0602.and i don't have a milling machine I was thinking of ordering some end mills, clamping the base into the existing tool post, and putting the end mill into the lathes chuck and shimming for what little vertical I need.

am i asking for trouble? or is this doable?

TIA, Dave

Are you asking if you can clamp the new base to your slide somehow and just mill on the lathe? If you can get it secure enough and go slow then yes, but by the time you order/receive endmills and find a way to clamp it securely it will be 2013. It might be easier to just put an ad on CL asking to visit someone with a mill, mill/drill, or lathe with milling attachment and maybe pay a 6-pack for 10 minute of shop time.

EDIT: I'd let you use mine but that's a heckuva drive for 10 minutes of work. But my workshop is always open to anyone who finds themselves lost in the southern AZ desert.

You should post some pics of what you need to mill & why (pic of tool post & lathe compound) then we can better advise on how to proceed. The tool post may be hardened I'm not sure

Sounds like he needs to remachine the T-nut to fit the compound. The QCTP probably is hardend and not be easy to trim down.

Sounds like he needs to remachine the T-nut to fit the compound. The QCTP probably is hardend and not be easy to trim down.

I was thinking the same thing, it would be a fairly easy setup to mill it on the lathe or he could just turn one with the base dia. a fair bit larger than needed then just cut 2 sides off flat.

Sounds like he needs to remachine the T-nut to fit the compound.

That was my assumption. I bought the same thing from a different company. They tell you the T-Nut will need milled to fit. In my case it just meant taking a bit off each side until it slide in easily. Mine was not hardened and milled with no problem.

I'll post pics tomorrow (friday), but yes, i need to make a chunk of metal fit into my compound.

I bought the qctp from CDCO .
I drilled and tapped the nut that came with the 4 way Grizzly tool post in the four jaw chuck on the lathe.
I centered the 10mm hole in the tee nut plate with a live center in the tailstock, clamped it tight in the 4 jaw and drilled with the 12.5 mm tap drill for the M14x 1.5 threads, then tapped.
Since I don't have a mill this seemed the easiest method.
Bill

No reason you can't mill it on your lathe. Figure out a way to clamp it into the toolholder. It doesn't require very precise milling to make it fit.

Alternatively, there is an eBay seller who sells pre-milled nuts for a number of lathes. You could contact him and see if one of the size he has will fit your machine, or if he will mill one to custom dimensions:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/prater_35x/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Back