Milling the milling table.....

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
The table surface of my mill isn't in the greatest of shape, it's been abused, drilled, ground, etc. Would I be ridiculous if I thought I could facemill the table with the mill....? Is this a thing...? Do people do that if theyre on a budget and scraping isn't an option?

I think milling the table is a bad idea. It should be done on a surface grinder otherwise you won't be taking any of the banana shape out of it. It will be shiny and clean but won't be any flatter when your done.

I have no idea if it's banana shaped, but it has milled marks, drill holes, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is even if it's not banana shaped now it may end up that way from milling it. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Hey Shawn your are making us Canadians out as being cheap, eh? And yes we can be frugal.

David
Ohh I don't think I'm cheap, but if I turned around a spent, what's likely, an exuberant amount of money to have the mill my wife's HATES reground, she would chop me up into tiny pieces and distribute me around town. Lol.
So, a guys gotta find ways to get things done.

Hukshawn,

As the table moves from side to side, it will tend to drop because of the overhang. It would be nice to be able to machine it flat but
really it needs to be done on a machine that can accurately do the job. I would not recommend it although it may seem to be a good idea.
There is no such thing as perfection anyway so give that a bit of thought. Maybe consider living with the table as it is for now, my 2 cents...

Ohh I don't think I'm cheap, but if I turned around a spent, what's likely, an exuberant amount of money to have the mill my wife's HATES reground, she would chop me up into tiny pieces and distribute me around town. Lol.
So, a guys gotta find ways to get things done.

Shawn,

A happy wife is a happy life, so don't want to mess that up. I withdraw my suggestion.

David

Back