• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Milling Vise for drill press

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Joez71

Swarf
Registered
Hi all, I am having a hard time finding a decent drill press vise here in Australia.

Would a 4 inch milling machine vice and some parallels make a good substitute?

thanks
Joe

Eddyde

Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Sure why not, even a cheap mill vise should make a great Drill Press vise.

tjb

Terry
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I actually think you might be better off with a milling vise. I bought a nice drill press on a friend's recommendation several years ago, along with the vise he recommended. It's nice, but sometimes a bit too cumbersome. There have been many instances in which I used it simply because it was there, but would have preferred something smaller - like a 4" milling vice.

Regards,
Terry

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I am not sure what the drill press vise you want looks like.

I purchased a 4in milling machine vise and a compound table for my drill press. This consumes some extra height but since the drill press is floor standing, this was not a problem.

I used this combination a lot before I got a milling machine. The compound table made it so much easier to position the work.

In this picture I am drilling one of the side holes for a pepper mill mechanism. I then move the compound table to the right to drill the other side.

Pepper_mill_cherry_using_milling_vise_XY_table_for_initial_drilling_3119.jpg

dlane

Active User
Like this
1B161673-2DF0-42C8-8341-A427B36F46EF.jpeg

It’s a little heavy but holds good and quick

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If you can find one at a decent price, these are wonderful vises for a drill press:
I am still looking for one...

Joez71

Swarf
Registered
Thanks everyone, 4 inch milling vise it is :)

[6]
[5] [7]