Milling Vise--To Swivel or not to Swivel?

Whatya think--swivel, or no swivel for a milling vise?

• Swivel

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No swivel

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It seems like most entry and mid-level milling vises come with swivel bases. I never really understood this, especially for smaller vises (for smaller machines) where Z height is at a premium. What's the general consensus on the usefulness of a swivel base? On another milling vise thread an opinion was given that "get the swivel base and take it off--that way you have it if you ever need it".

Whatya think? Swivel, or no swivel?

Never needed a swivel vise. Now a sine bar is another proposition entirely.
If someone gave me a good Kurt like vise with a swivel base, I would remove the swivel and save it for the unlikely future need. Pay money for a swivel? Never!

On a manual mill its pretty handy to swivel. On a CNC mill its of no use whatsoever to have a swivel base.

However even on a manual mill if you do not need a swivel base then don't install it. It just adds one more layer of reduced tolerance and additional adjustment error. It might add some flex as well. I have several swivel bases, but only have one (1) installed on my little mill drill.

On a manual mill its pretty handy to swivel. On a CNC mill its of no use whatsoever to have a swivel base.

However even on a manual mill if you do not need a swivel base then don't install it. It just adds one more layer of reduced tolerance and additional adjustment error. It might add some flex as well. I have several swivel bases, but only have one (1) installed on my little mill drill.

I agree... and I have used the swivel base a number of times on my mill.

-Bear

I do not have a swivel mill vise (actually I do, sort of, secret future project ;)) and have never wanted one for a job so far. It is entirely possible, less work, and perhaps faster, to clamp your vise down to the table at an angle if you need it at an angle. It will be more rigid, lower profile, and more resistant to accidental rotation without the swivel base. If your vise comes with a swivel base, I still recommend leaving it off the table, and putting it in a dark corner somewhere in case you might want to use it someday.
If I thought I needed a swivel vise, I would buy a nice old B&S angle/swivel vise like this:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...makers-universal-vise-help.58671/#post-483468
I would only mount it to the table when I needed it.

No swivel base for me. So many other options: clamp project to the table at what ever angle desired, rotary table, bolt/clamp vise at what ever angle, swivel the entire table (i.e. I have a universal table). On my little mill, I need the head room. On that mill - I use the vise less than half the time (usually clamp directly to the table).

No doubt there are jobs that a swivel base for a vise would be very convenient - I just have not run into that.

Back