Milling Vise--To Swivel or not to Swivel?

Whatya think--swivel, or no swivel for a milling vise?

• Swivel

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No swivel

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
Well, I use a swivel vise. It’s very convenient to nudge the vise back and forth to align the vise parallel to the mill table. Particularly when cutting an angle and returning to its original position.

I’ve never been hindered by the height it takes up.

Glenn

I have a swivel vise on my Sherline mill and find it handy once in a while, like milling an angle at the end of a work piece, but it doesn't get all that much use. Based on my experience, I bought my Kurt vise without the swiveling base and don't plan to regret it (I hope). If someone gave me a swiveling base for my Kurt, I wouldn't turn it down but I don't think I would invest in it.

A tilting angle table, now that is something worth buying.

+1 to what ch2co says. But I also like what Glenn stated.
On the Ol' Index the 5" import it came off as soon as I went to install it - (20) years ago.
On the Bridgeport, the one that is mounted does not have one, but the Bridgeport vise on the floor on a dolly (that I keep moving around) has one.
Now I'm trying to decide. Gonna have to think on this one. Of course I may forget what I was thinking on. . .

Just something else to align. and to come out of alignment. There are much simpler and stable ways to fixture your work piece at the angle you need. I'm sure the really good vice makers make really good swivel bases to go with them, but on the cheaper imports not so great.

When I decided I needed to upgrade my mill vise I'd already been watching a bunch of YouTube vids. When I looked at the different vises and saw the price of the swivel it made me try and remember how many times I'd seen a vid with one used. I couldn't remember seeing one. Saw a lot of rotary tables though. So went with no swivel and found me a 10" rotary. Never have missed the swivel on the mill.

My Atlas 7b came with the stock vise w/swivel. First thing I noticed was the deg marks were off. Second was it was not truly flat, and it cut down on my verticle clearance. It has been off for quite a while and I'm not sure it will ever be needed. But like everything else I have I know I won't get rid of it as the second I do I'll be sorry.

On my manual mill I have used the swivel quite abit for cutting slots for sliding hydraulic motor mounts, could I have dun it easily without it sure. Was it convenient using the vise this way yes.

And if you do have a swivel base, I wouldn't use the marks, I would indicate the part or vise jaw.
If I saw a Kurt swivel for a great low price, I would buy it., although I think a rotab is far more useful.
I'd take the rotab over a swivel base., given a choice, but I don't reject swivel bases outright.

My Bridgeport has a 6" Kurt swivel vise, was on the machine as I bought it. To date I've never rotated the vise, but have only had the mill for 4 months.

Bought my Jet JVM-830 mill over 30 years ago and put an Enco 4" swivel vise on it. Never rotated the vise in over 30 years, but would probably buy the swivel again "just in case". I have a non-swivel 6" Kurt on it at present.

Bruce

I have 3 vertical mills, all them have vise swivels, I would not be without them. I used the one on the Rockwell mill this afternoon.

Back