[4]

Milling weld bead

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Djl338

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I’m finishing up a sheet of steel (.25”) that was tig welded and need to remove the bead and get the surface flush. Normally I would use a flap disc, 1” roloc, and conditioning disc. Got to thinking about milling the surface, and was wondering if it’s a good idea. I thought about using a face mill, was wondering if there’s a better endmill choice or just stick with the old method (it’s carbon steel). Trying to get the finish cosmetically perfect.
Thanks
David

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I do this all the time. WAY quicker. I use dull/chipped endmills that are mostly wore out for this. leave 5 or 10 thou to finish with a flap disk.

Djl338

Thanks Karl, does it matter of its 2,4 flute center cutting? IM all about way quicker:chunky:

Karl_T

If you got money to burn, use a brand new one inch four flute carbide center cutting. When you hit a hard spot and waste it, don't blame me.

I use out of the dull pile, what ever is in there.

Djl338

Well, no money burning for me. a 1” carbide center cutting end mill is probably more than a semester for my kids college tuition. I’ve got some old stuff to use, thanks for the tip

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
Karl is right, welds can be tough to mill, and drill

What happened to the likes button on this thread?

Djl338

Gave it a try with a 1/2 center cutting carbide end mill that iI had and , really impressed myself on how well it works, no waves from the normal sanding grinding process, great finish, took a little setup time but well worth it.
Thanks Karl

Karl_T

Hope that was a brand new Hanita variable flute with TiAN coating :)

Djl338

Yup, went to the vault in the sub- basement and broke out the new Hanita :oops:

projectnut

Brass
Registered
A little over 10 years ago we had a new deck put on the family cottage. When we got the price for the railings I almost had the big one. I decided it would be a good project to build it from scratch. Not being a great welder I cut all the parts to spec and took them over to a friends shop to have him do the welding.

I was pretty happy with the results and loaded the sections into the trailer to transport them to the cottage. I thought it would be a good idea to show them to the wife before painting them. That's when I got a rude awakening. She thought the raw welds looked terrible and suggested I dress them up on the mill.

Two weeks later they were nearly ready for paint. I beveled all 4 surfaces where each stile is connected to the top and bottom rail. The majority of the work was done with a 3/8" ball end mill with the finishing touches completed with a die grinder and deburring disks. In all there was a little over 1,000" of surface to be milled and finished. It only took 2 end mills, but close to 40 deburring disks.DCP00775A.jpg

Raw welds

DCP00777A.jpg

Milling complete, next step polishing

DCP00783A.jpg

Project complete

Djl338

Looks great!, and bet a ton of work but totally worth it

[5] [7]