Milling weld bead

Djl338

Registered
Registered
I’m finishing up a sheet of steel (.25”) that was tig welded and need to remove the bead and get the surface flush. Normally I would use a flap disc, 1” roloc, and conditioning disc. Got to thinking about milling the surface, and was wondering if it’s a good idea. I thought about using a face mill, was wondering if there’s a better endmill choice or just stick with the old method (it’s carbon steel). Trying to get the finish cosmetically perfect.
Thanks
David

I do this all the time. WAY quicker. I use dull/chipped endmills that are mostly wore out for this. leave 5 or 10 thou to finish with a flap disk.

Thanks Karl, does it matter of its 2,4 flute center cutting? IM all about way quicker:chunky:

If you got money to burn, use a brand new one inch four flute carbide center cutting. When you hit a hard spot and waste it, don't blame me.

I use out of the dull pile, what ever is in there.

Well, no money burning for me. a 1” carbide center cutting end mill is probably more than a semester for my kids college tuition. I’ve got some old stuff to use, thanks for the tip

Karl is right, welds can be tough to mill, and drill

What happened to the likes button on this thread?

Gave it a try with a 1/2 center cutting carbide end mill that iI had and , really impressed myself on how well it works, no waves from the normal sanding grinding process, great finish, took a little setup time but well worth it.
Thanks Karl

Hope that was a brand new Hanita variable flute with TiAN coating :)

Yup, went to the vault in the sub- basement and broke out the new Hanita :oops:

Back