Millrite Spindle Feed Bridgeport Modification

wildo

Registered
Registered
I thought for sure I've read a thread here about someone who modified their Millrite such that it had BOTH the rapid feed clock spring driven style feed as well as the wheel precision feed. I've searched and searched though and can't find the thread. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

I thought for sure I've read a thread here about someone who modified their Millrite such that it had BOTH the rapid feed clock spring driven style feed as well as the wheel precision feed. I've searched and searched though and can't find the thread. Does this ring a bell to anyone?
The only way I know to do that is to change out the Millrite head for a Bridgeport head, the J heads bolt right on to a Millrite ram. The only thing you will not have from the BP is the worm for tramming, but the Millrite never had that anyway.

Thanks Bob! I just rediscovered the yahoo group and was going through the threads there. I was thinking maybe you had done some crazy modification there, but I wasn't finding it. Good info; much appreciated! I just replaced all the bearings in the head on my machine (which as of a couple days ago now is officially in operation!) so I don't think I'll be switching the head out any time soon. Those bearings were expensive!

The only way I know to do that is to change out the Millrite head for a Bridgeport head, the J heads bolt right on to a Millrite ram. The only thing you will not have from the BP is the worm for tramming, but the Millrite never had that anyway.
This is a mod that is on my to do list. I have been looking for a J head at the right price to do this mod. Why not get a full size bridgeport instead? Because of ceiling height, the mill is in my basement. So the shorter height of the burke mill combined with the bridgeport head would be very cool. I can use the head that's on it now and take my time looking for another.

I'm thinking of doing a breakdown and service of the head on my Millrite. Just out of curiosity, how much were those bearings?

I'm thinking of doing a breakdown and service of the head on my Millrite. Just out of curiosity, how much were those bearings?

I bought all four bearings on Amazon. Cost was $170 or so shipped. I seem to recall maybe one of those bearings being the last one available (at that time, via amazon) so they might not be 100% available that way at the moment.

Being very new to the machining world- I still don't really know the best places to buy stuff. Amazon is familiar and convenient for me. There might be better places...

[EDIT]- there might be a thrust bearing for the vertical lead screw in the spindle feed mechanism. I feel like I noticed that after the fact. I assumed it was just a bushing in there, so I didn't disassemble that part beyond taking it off the mill (in order to remove the spindle). Obviously then, if there is a bearing in there, I didn't replace it during my service.

I noted the pics and part numbers in your other thread. Thanks for all the info.

Back