Mini cannon

alb

Registered
Registered
Made this little cannon after I got fed up trying to get my internal valve flame engine going.
The cannon bore is 10mm and it is 55mm over all length made from 410 st/steel the base is just a chunk of aluminium.
It fires 3/8"dia ball bearings (at a fair rate)
Not for the faint hearted nor kids
y4evyhu5.jpg

Cool. Can you make a video of it firing?

Very nice.I love things that go BOOM! You are shooting black, I suppose. 4F?

Bill

4F???? Yikes!!!

3F would be appropriate for that bore size, but not 4F.

The general rule of thumb is as follows:
4F is never used as a main charge, but is used only as a priming powder in the pan of a flint lock.
3F is acceptable in everything under 50 caliber, primarily used in pistols
2F is used in 50 caliber and up, primarily in rifles
1F is used in muskets and shotguns

A few years back I had the opportunity to spend an afternoon shooting a prototype .22 muzzleloader. It was an inline, and used standard #11 caps. Projectile was an unpatched .22 caliber lead pellet for an air rifle. It was a blast to shoot!! Even at its small size, it used 3F powder, not 4F.

Guys
It's worrying that you know so much about explosives ;-)
I just bust open an old firework and rammed in some of the charge powder
And I am still here to tell the tale
In the UK getting hold of gun powder is a little tricky thanks to Guy Fawkes LOL

Just NEVER bust open a shotgun shell or other modern bullet. You probably already know that,but it is surprising how many accidents are caused by people putting scavenged smokeless powder into old or other black powder guns.

I find it very comforting that people on this group know a lot about explosives. :)) How else are the rest of us to learn?

Jeff

very cool looking

of course... one can always make black powder if not available for purchase...

I saw Captain Kirk make gun powder once. :))

I'd still like to see a video of it firing.

Back