Mini late making

Post some pictures of the parts you have found for making this machine, AND, the thing you want to make.

We are visual people and can give much better advice if there are pictures involved.

John

hi,I have only this spindle and chuck just now.

Attachments

• IMG_2635.JPG
    IMG_2635.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
Do you have welding capabilities?

You'll need some kind of headstock, tailstock, bed, motor pulley and rest.

Here's a basic diagram:
latheparts.png

I'm assuming you don't have a lot of money, otherwise you would just buy the tool you want. So, what resources do you have? One good source is scrap auto parts, you might find this webpage if interest.

Before you start buying parts I suggest adding up the cost of purchasing them and comparing with what's available new, this isn't anything I would want to use but it may give you some ideas.

Lastly, is there any place near your town where people do this kind of work? They might have leads on used tools that would meet your needs.

Much depends on what your goals are, if you just want a tool to do your project some clamps and a hand drill might work. If you found this chuck and spindle and decided to make a machine because it sounds like fun than that's a different project. There are many of us here who have started at one place and fallen "down the rabbit hole" into this hobby. Some pictures of what you ultimately hope to build will help too.

John

Back