Mini lathe discussion

The correct choice of machine is one thing. Another, is the savvy of the operator to operate the machine.

Agreed, but this is a hobby pursued by amateurs, not a profession requiring an apprenticeship period. While there are many current and former professionals posting here, it is fairly likely that somebody asking advice about what to buy for their first lathe is not a seasoned operator.

There seems to be recurring advice on this forum to beginners to steer clear of cheap import end mills and such, because "they won't know if it's them, or the cutter". I'd say this is more true for the choice of machine than for the specific cutting tool - on a bad machine, you can break a good cutter just as easily as a cheap cutter.

This is getting good. Thx guys.

Any opinions on precision Matthew bench top lathes?

PM has a good reputation here.

I think the 9" and 10" lathes are a nice size. Bigger and heavier than any of those previously mentioned, but still quite manageable in a small space.

9" are typically the smallest fully featured lathes available with a quick change gear box and power feed. Many lathes in the 9-10" size are still light enough to be moved with 2 people without special tools or equipment, so not too difficult to get into a basement shop. At 200-300lbs though a bit much for one person to move and they really require their own dedicated space. No longer practical to use on a kitchen table like the mini-lathes.

Decided to do 2 lathes. Found a good deal on a Sherline on Ebay and will probably buy a Precision Matthews lathe as well. I will report back on the Sherline when I receive it.

Just so you know, everything you learn on a Sherline machine will transfer to a larger lathe. The Sherline lathe is small but it is a capable lathe in every other way. If you become skilled on that little lathe, jumping to a bigger one will be a smooth transition.

I've got some small parts to make for a large radio control airplane sooner than later so the Sherline will be perfect. But looking forward to a larger lathe.

I ended up deciding to buy 2 lathes, micro and larger. Probably the PM1030 for the larger but found a cute Unimat on eBay. Shot some oil here and there and turned a piece to test it out.

A die happened to fit on the finished piece so I ran some threads on it.

20200119_212548.jpg

Bill is definitely right about machining becoming its own hobby.

I'm very happy with my Sherline lathe and mill, and they have worked out just as I'd hoped. The one wrinkle was I was just looking at them as tools for my model hobby. I didn't expect them to lead to a whole new hobby and the machining hobby is what led me to wanting some bigger machines, not a failure of the little ones to do the job I bought them for.

It is addictive though. you will keep finding new stuff you didn't know about and then you have no idea how you ever got by without it. It starts with a tiny lathe and the next thing you know your basement or garage is filled with cast iron. :grin:

I think the Unimats are neat, that one should work well for you for the RC stuff you were wanting to do.

Back