Mini lathe plastic strange observation

Sdmf5150

Registered
Registered
I ordered an new side cover and control panel for my HF mini lathe from LMS and went to paint it a different color. The strange thing I found was the plastic was covered in auto body filler. ABS plastic comes out of the mold perfectly shaped. I don't know if they did this to make the paint stick to the plastic or maybe to stiffen the plastic? Anyone else ever see this?

Hmmmm ... You might try phoning LMS. They're pretty durn good when it comes to customer support.

I'm sure this is how they are painted in China and not LMS. I just found it to be strange

Everything on the minilathe is coated with bondo from the factory. Part of "If it looks good it's a success". BTW When you order from LMS they let you specify color and will send that if they have it.

I stripped everything on my Sieg made Homier lathe and only the tailstock castings had bondo (traditional pink and poorly done). What color is the base plastic (mine is green)?

Conversely, I was amazed by the finish on the apron casting; completely smooth like a lost-wax casting with a thick phosphate finish. They're quite the box of chocolates.

I stripped everything on my Sieg made Homier lathe and only the tailstock castings had bondo (traditional pink and poorly done). What color is the base plastic (mine is green)?

Conversely, I was amazed by the finish on the apron casting; completely smooth like a lost-wax casting with a thick phosphate finish. They're quite the box of chocolates.
Yeah my plastic is green as well. Well I guess I have some sanding to do. So many pits and craters to level

Back