Mini Lathe Slide Screw Mod

I know this is a discussion from several years ago, but @grepper's description and method is what brought me here to hobby-machinist last month. New-old lathe (MicroLux 7x14) and I couldn't get happy with the adjustments on the compound and cross slide. Grepper's explanation and solution made sense to me, so this mod became my first lathe project since making a few things in a night school class in the 1970's.

I didn't want to risk messing up my lathe, so I made a new leadscrew (3/8-20 on my lathe) and retainer - the round block with the indicator line. It works perfectly!
:) I made two lead screws as the first attempt didn't have deep enough threads - my HSS threading tool grinding was a bit off on the angle and there was too much nose radius on the tool.

Next project - which is now underway - is to apply the same method to the cross slide. That leadscrew is LH thread, but should be easier in some ways as the right-side-up (standard) tool will be traversing away from the chuck for that. On the RH compound lead screw I used the method with the tool upside-down to get the same direction of cut away from the chuck. Much less stressful!

So thanks from me, grepper!:clapping:

Back