mini lathe suggestions

indychuck

Registered
Registered
I'm case prepping quite a bit more of the smaller stuff (17s, 20s and 22s)and my hands get tired a lot faster with the smaller type work.

A lathe investment will likely prevent physical therapy to the hands, ortho surgery and a lot of aggravation.....at least that's how I justify to wife!!

Can I have some suggestions on a tabletop or a minilathe for such work. Case trimming, inside/outside neck deburring, flash hole cleaning, primer pocket cleaning, etc.

Here's a couple images of my cases, just to give you some perspective on the size I'm working with.

17mink1.jpg
22mink1.jpg

Little machine shop mini lathe 5200, not as good as Sherline but it can be made to machine accurately.

Hi , obviously I'm not a gunsmith but I like guns . I'm not at all familiar with case trimming , but it would seem to me you would be best off with a machine that could run a collet .

I wlll throw another vote for the Sherline lathe. While not as robust as a Chinese 7" lathe, the Sherline doesn't need tuning or tweaking to make it a very accurate machine. You can do very precise work on a Sherline, pretty much right out of the box.

Built my first competition 1911 on a Sherline lathe and mill. It's not something I recommend for most folks, but the machines will work if you know what you're doing.

For brass casings they'd be perfect. Just my opinion of course. :)

Back