Mini-lathe tailstock adjuster with differential screw

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
As is usual for most mini-lathes, my mini-lathe tailstock is pretty far out of adjustment. I couldn't seem to get a decent repeatable setup, especially with the stock configuration. So I've designed up a variation of a cross axis adjustment that has reasonable adjustment range and a fine adjust. Looking at some resources on both HM and Little Machine Shop, I've come up with an adjuster that has +/- 6.3 mm coarse adjustment with a fine adjust of 0.25 mm per turn. Now, I realize there are other errors in my tailstock like height, pitch and yaw, but one needs to try to attack a problem at a time...
LMS tailstock adjuster
petcnc's tailstock mods
The 250 micrometer per turn comes about from using a differential screw. That is a screw with two different threads. I chose a size that I could easily thread that had available taps in both a coarse and fine pitch. In my case I chose M6, which has a standard thread of 1mm pitch, and a fine pitch of 0.75mm. If one makes this choice, and uses one nut on the adjuster bar and a threaded hole in the mini-lathe base threaded with the other pitch, as one turns the screw clockwise, the base will approach the nut 250 micrometers for a single turn. This should be sufficient to have a reasonable fine adjust. There is no free lunch with this, so one needs to account for the travel of the screw, which advances in each nut by its pitch for every turn. It is for this reason that I decided to thread the base with the fine pitch, as there is limited travel on this side. Eventually the screw will interfere with the tailstock clamp that holds the tailstock to the ways. My design has 16T of fine adjustment, which corresponds to 4mm or +/- 2mm. The fine thread has 20T giving me 4T of engagement in the tailstock base.

One could use M5 which has a 0.8 and 0.7 pitch, but I wasn't comfortable with single point threading the 0.7 pitch. One needs a sharply honed tool with minimal flattening to SPT these pitches. My first attempt at this showed me this very fact. Had enough fun with the 0.75 pitch. I made the screw, but I will remake it as the coarse thread needs to be a little longer. I also made the M6x0.75 a little undersized, as it was my first use of thread wires. (The screw was pretty sloppy in a M6x0.75 threaded hole.) Now that I understand what to do, the next (third) attempt will be a lot easier! I don't know why, but I made the screw out of O-1 steel. Guess it was the first stock I saw. Afterwards, rummaging through my rod stock found some 12L14 and 1144 in 1/4". Maybe I will use the 1144 for the next try. Probably single point thread a little easier!
PXL_20210430_223535357.jpg
What is nice about the basic LMS design is that the nut is not threaded to the adjuster, it can freely rotate in the slot. This means a coarse adjustment can be made by simply spinning the nut (and holding the screw). So 1 turn of the nut is 1 mm of displacement. When fine adjustment is needed, then the nut is captivated by a wrench and the screw is turned. At some point I may put a bar or keeper to prevent the nut from turning. Just don't know how much of an issue it might be.

My choice of M6 meant that I could not directly use the LMS tailstock design. I slightly modified it to allow the use of larger screws. Attached is a dxf file. There are different layers that one can selectively turn on to see the details. With all layers on, the drawing is a mess. But it was the only way that I could tell if things were going to work. My original design had a 1/2" hex for a nut. It would work, but the nut only hung over the edge by 0.0625", so I decided to use a 5/8" nut instead. That way there would be a 0.125" minimum overlap. I put in the larger nut, but haven't modified the nut view in the drawing yet.

Don't have any 5/8" hex stock. I know I bought some 3/4", but for the life of me couldn't find it. You'd think it was hard to lose a foot of 3/4" hex. I had some 1/2" hex, but that's too small. So I decided to make some. Dusting off the cobwebs, determined that I could make 5/8" hex from 3/4" round stock. Thought it would be a good excuse to use my BS-0 for the first time. Sure I could have used a hex sided collet, but I needed to try the BS-0. So set up the BS-0 on my mill and made a short section of hex. I had no idea if 0 degrees indicated on the BS-0 was actually zero, but it turned out it was well under 0.0005" in pitch, which is good enough for this short piece. I did need to pull out the end mill a bit, so there was some clearance between the BS-0 chuck and the spindle light. Just barely cleared the edge of the 3 jaw chuck jaws, when cutting the hex.
PXL_20210509_173448565.jpg
The adjuster is in the vise. I am waiting for an end mill to do the counterbore. I made the slot with a 5/16" end mill, widening it to 3/8". When it was really close, within a few thousandths, I ran a 3/8" end mill in the slot. A 0.375" rod just barely drops into the slot. After the counterbore I will cut away both sides, making a tab for the slot. In this picture it would be the far edge on either side of the slot. The width needs to be reduced to 14mm so that the bottom of the tailstock base clears. In my design, the slot is from the top. The LMS design the slot is from the bottom.
PXL_20210509_173521243.jpg
That's all I have for now. I struggled thinking out the order of operations (found in the notes in the drawing). Hoping that reasoning will speed up in the future. While I am waiting for the end mill, I will make the nut. Without a centered tailstock it won't be easy to center the bore of the nut. I can drill it on the mill, but I am not sure how to center the nut accurately across the points of the hex. Can an edge finder work on a 60 degree edge? Freshly milled, it is pretty sharp.

Later, I found the 3/4" hex stock... It was on the shelf - in plain view, but in a slightly different place. Funny, it was invisible to me for a day and a half!

To be continued.

Attachments

• diff_tailstock_adjuster.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 8
  • diff_tailstock_adjuster.dxf
    77.1 KB · Views: 5
Great Stuff !
Please add pics.
What are the slots for ?

Excellent idea re: diff screw.
10+ likes on it !

The slot is to captivate the nut. It allows the nut to spin. I will turn the nut to have a corresponding cut to fit in the slot. The hex part will be on the outside, then a notch then a wider part. I need to make the part, it's a lot easier to show a picture than to describe!

Some guys are so far over my head I usually don't even bother. But I will try here, rereading again.

It's not that difficult. Perhaps I am poorly describing it. A picture or two will help. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the coarse nut done.

As for the differential screw, I believe @Norppu showed it in one of his videos. His video inspired me to make one for this adjuster. Even though I intellectually understood the concept, I didn't feel comfortable with the idea until I made the differential screw and two test nuts with different pitches. Sure enough it does work. I twiddled with the screw and nuts until I was comfortable with the idea. You could make one with say a 10-32 die and a 10-24 die and corresponding nuts as a test. That would give a relative pitch of 0.265 mm, or one turn is 265 micrometers. (1/24 - 1/32)*25.4 = 0.265 mm

Last edited:
A tiny bit of progress. Put the hex piece in the lathe, faced it off and started the slot. This is going to be a little tricky to measure because it should be 0.250" wide. It seems my micrometer tips are 0.248" wide. I used a 0.060" wide parting blade to start the slot. Right now it is about 0.220" wide and roughly 0.1" deep. I want it to be around 0.370" in diameter to just fit in the U slot that I previously made.
PXL_20210510_133125215.jpg
A better view of the two slots is in the next picture.
PXL_20210510_133149590.jpg
Since the distance between the slots is so narrow, it is hard to use a normal 60 degree insert to do additional turning. So I continued to use the parting blade in between the slots. Since the material is 12L14, it parts and machines easily. When the blade started to squeak a little I just added more cutting fluid.
PXL_20210510_140123792.jpg
I will see if I can use a trepanning tool I ground out of HSS. Might be a little sturdier. It is, but it is a little dull. A little honing will fix that.
PXL_20210510_164720802.jpg
Reflecting on things a bit, it would be much easier to come on width if I had a dial indicator. I don't have a dial indicator mount for my lathe, but I do have an aluminum lathe stop that I bought. It has 8mm rod in it. My indicator has a 3/8" stem. Think I will have to mill it out to 0.375" Then I will have an indicator for my lathe! It's a diversion, but shouldn't take long. There is no scale on the main carriage of a mini-lathe.
PXL_20210510_172255078.jpgPXL_20210510_172623186.jpg
With that out of the way, it was much easier to get the slot width right! Can't believe I hadn't done that earlier... I bought the mini-lathe stops on eBay a while ago. Was a round-tuit to do this. Used one stop as a stop, and the other with the indicator.
PXL_20210510_174332924.jpg
Time for a fit check to the bracket.
PXL_20210510_185644521.jpg
Success!
PXL_20210510_185738388.jpg
I then rounded off the hex on the other side of the bracket. The hex isn't needed on that side. At this point, I parted off the nut giving it an excess length of 0.02". If I had a functional tailstock I would have center drilled it, drilled with a 5mm drill and tapped to M6x1. But, I don't have a functional tailstock, yet. I will have to do the rest on the mill.

Here are the two pieces so far. Both pieces need to be further machined on the mill.
PXL_20210510_194103704.jpgPXL_20210510_194127735.jpg
Need to shave off the round side length so the distance from the bottom surface of the round to the bottom of the bracket is 6.35mm. Even with a few of the minor goofs I made, there is enough material to remove to get there.
PXL_20210510_201047855.jpg
Wikipedia has a cool gif for a differential screw. In my case, the coarse thread is B, M6x1 The nut I made (with B thread) is fixed by the bracket to the upper part of the tailstock. The fine thread A M6x0.75 will be in the tailstock base. (The base can be thought of nut A.) I can spin nut B (and hold the screw fixed) to get a coarse adjustment. If nut B is fixed and the screw is turned, then the distance between the upper and lower tailstock changes by (B-A) x number of turns. Isn't this mesmerizing?
DifferentialScrew.gif

Well that's the machining for today. (I think...)

So a minor blunder. Took too much of a cut on the mill last night and the end mill lifted the part out of the vise. :( At the time, I didn't think a 0.009" DOC would be too much. Apparently it was. After that, I took 0.002" deep passes in 2mm steps. It was slow, but it worked. Most of the blunder was cleaned up, but one can see it. Considering it is on the back side of the lathe tailstock, I'm not going to redo it. I'll consider it a lesson learned. While it was in the vise I used a needle file to debur the raised edge due to the milling. I was on edge, being aware of slipping and marking the vise. Just due to the filing pressure I was able to rock the nut off the flats. Glad I only took 0.002" passes, as the nut was only tenuously being held. Had to reinstall the nut and re-edge find.
PXL_20210511_141543207.jpg
Then I found the center, and drilled the 5mm hole for the M6x1 tap. If my tailstock was functional, I'd have done this on the lathe. I used a spring loaded tap guide just as a visual indicator to start the thread. The M6 tap was slightly larger than my little tap wrench could accommodate. Was a pity since it has a dimple for the tap guide. The tap wrench I used does not have this feature, but I could roughly center the back of the tap with the tap guide. It helped me get the tap started straight, so it served its purpose. I have to say, using a brand new sharp tap on 12L14 was a pleasure, very easy cutting.
PXL_20210511_145610687.jpg
Inserted the nut back into the bracket to measure the available backspace. It came out to be 6.4mm which is slightly better than I designed to.
PXL_20210511_150814531.jpg
Finally received my 7/16" end mill and then made the counterbores for the M6 screws. Those are the two largish holes on the sides. Occasionally, when I am using twist drills, the holes come out way too large. (I used a 6.35mm drill, but the hole ended up being 6.8mm!) I suspect I'm not centering the drills correctly in the chuck consistently. I put the drill bit on the table and rolled it and it looks ok. If I center the drill bit correctly (and it is a decent bit) I get the relatively low TIR of the chuck. When I indicated a ground rod that I put in the chuck the TIR was around 0.0006". The drill I used for the clearance hole was a jobber length. The drill I used for the nut was a stubby and it spun very straight. Apparently I still have room for improving my technique.
PXL_20210511_160159773.jpg
Have a couple of more operations on the bracket. Have to turn the U upside down, and need to mill away about 8.4mm x 20mm of material on both sides of the U. Then round the inside corners and outside corners of the cut outs. (As seen in the drawing.) That will be this afternoon's exercise, assuming I'm not drawn outside by the wonderful weather here.

I did set the bracket up in the vise (U facing down) and found it rocked on the parallels. Forgot to debur the corners of the top of the slot! Used a deburring blade tool and ran the machined surface lightly across a stone, no more rocking. Ready for machining later.

Last night, I gave it a rest. The nut mistake gave me pause. One makes (more) mistakes when tired. This morning, started up again. The part was already in the vise with the U down. Hogged out the most of the area with a roughing mill. I did the last 2 mm of the cut with a radius end mill.
PXL_20210512_140109426.jpg
Then I rounded off the corners with a different end mill with an 1/8" radius. The radii don't match, but that's what one does if tooling challenged. Here's the part out of the vise. Lots of sharp edges to debur.
PXL_20210512_143407423.jpgPXL_20210512_143434602.jpg
Finally a side view with the bottom tailstock casting. 1/8" radius tool still in the spindle.
PXL_20210512_143537820.jpg
You can see the dot marked M4. That's roughly where the M6x0.75 hole will go in the base. (The dot is too high.) The counterbored holes mark where the upper tailstock will be drilled and tapped for M6x1. The bracket is bolted to the upper tailstock.

Now back to deburring this bracket. There's lots of corners to hide a sharp bur... So far, knock on ?, this is going to plan.

Back at it again. This time, making the screw. With the finished nut in hand, and the desired adjustment range settled (+/-6.35mm), the coarse thread needs to be the length of the nut plus 2 x 6.35 mm = 15.875 + 12.7 = 28.675 mm minimum. If the screw is all the way in, there is nothing to hold on to, so I need to either make it say 10mm longer, or put a slot in the end. I suppose I could make a thumbwheel for it. Say out of brass? That might be nice. I am going to have to take very fine cuts, on the screw, as 38mm of stickout on 6mm stock is a lot. Might be nice to have tailstock dead center...

Since the gearing is already set up for 0.75 mm pitch, I will start with that end. Designing to have 20 turns or 15mm of 0.75 mm pitch, plus a 1.5 mm thread relief. First step, turn down the 6.35mm 1144 stock down to the nominal max pitch size of 5.91 mm.
PXL_20210512_174636078.jpg
The finish isn't too good here. It was mirror like the previous pass. On the last pass I think I accidentally put some pressure on the apron, which caused the tool to dig in. This is probably due to the lack of rigidity of the mini-lathe. Since I am threading this anyways, I am not too concerned. Subsequent spring passes removed nothing. It's good enough. Next is the thread relief, that is just made with a 0.060" parting blade and finally single point threading the 0.75 mm pitch.
PXL_20210513_183051369.jpg
Thought I may have missed 20 turns, but blowing up the photo shows they are all there. Sure is easier to count them in the photo than real life! I think a future project will need to be some sort of USB microscope thing. I cut these threads while viewing under a handheld magnifier. I tried using the 1-wire method of measuring thread depth. I don't know how well it works for this small size. Having a devil of a time cleaning out the swarf in the threads. The 1 wire measurement says I have more material to cut, but I am concerned about having a sloppy fit. Since I can always pick up the thread again and cut metal, I'll stop for now. It does thread into a block nut I tapped to M6x0.75.

Now to extend the work piece and change over the gearing to 1 mm pitch.

Thinking about using a follow rest. I dislike using it, as it is both awkward and restricts visibility (a lot), but over 40mm of stick out for the 1mm thread is a lot. Using the follow rest on threads is not great since the thread tend to cut the brass fingers. I did manage to single point thread 35mm of M6x1 without a follow rest, so I may try it again. I'll just take very light passes.

Back