Mini M16 Extractor

jbolt

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been working on a PRS rifle build on and off for a couple of years as time permits. I wasn't happy with my original CNC chassis I was making and decided to switch gears and go another direction. I have always wanted to build a Tube Gun so I went that route. Anyway I'm far enough along it's time to chamber and fit the barrel. I have previously trued the M700 action and fitted a new PT&G bolt. I went to install the extractor for the barrel fitting and discovered that PT&G sent me a bolt with the wrong extractor cutout. I had ordered it with a M16 extractor and it came cut for a Mini M16 extractor. Even worse they sent me a Seko extractor.

I've had the bolt for over a year so my bad for not checking. I have already timed and welded the bolt handle on so no going back. PT&G doesn't stock the Mini M16 extractor so it is a couple month lead time. I tried modifying a Badger M16 extractor but the pivot hole on the bolt is further back than the Badger extractor so when fitted it was not forward enough to catch the case rim.

The only solution at this point was to make an extractor. Between the bolt and the Badger extractor I was able to get the basic dimensions. To get the outer radius that matches the bolt I turned a piece of tool steel to the bolt diameter then parted to length. The plug was rough bored to be later milled and the chamfer and groove for the case rim were cut.

20181228_155330.png

With the plug mounted in the mill the extractor was cut to width.

20181228_162425.png

The balance of the machining was milling the back side to thickness, drilling the pivot & spring holes and filing in the rear radius.

20181228_211917.png

20181228_211929.png

Extractor installed.

20181228_215128.png

20181228_215155.png

Being that you had that blank all profiled out, did you make some spares?

Being that you had that blank all profiled out, did you make some spares?
I got three out of the plug. First one I drilled the pivot hole to high so only one spare but they are simple enough to make now that I have all the correct dimensions for this bolt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back