Mini Mill Dro

I think you display module is somehow different from mine.
Try changing all 7-i to i on the function ThrDsp, like this line here:

Before: lc.setChar(0,7-i,'-',false);
After: lc.setChar(0,i,'-',false);

Wagner

Hi Wagner. Nice clean build.

I have the iGaging scales on the X and Y of my Mini Mill and have picked up a third for the Z. I love having the DROs but I’m not a fan of the displays. With no backlight I find that if I’m not looking straight on to them they are hard to read (getting old?). I was thinking I could try to rework Yuriy's sketch to work with an LED display and use a Nano for each axis. I wouldn’t have to change anything if I could convince my wife she needed a new tablet but she won’t budge.

So. The big ask. Would you be willing to share your sketch for the iGaging scales?

Bob. Alberta Canada

Hi Bob,

Sure, here is the info:

DROx.jpg
DROps.jpg

Attachments

• MillDroX.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DROps.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • DROx.bmp
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
Wagner you are my new super hero. Thanks for this I tried calculating how much time this is going to save me but I think I’d need a spreadsheet. I’d found a sketch I was trying to rework that used a LCD keypad shield that only went to 2 decimal points. The sketch looked to be well commented but was in Romanian and Google translate can only do so much . . . .

Now if I can only manage to get some shop time in I’m laughing. I’ll post my progress.

Thanks again. Bob

Hi Wagner.

My lesson for today was “don’t buy cheap breadboard jumpers”. My wife said I was clear to go hide in the dungeon so I got the circuit together on a breadboard. Built up the 3.3v supply using an LM317 (what I had on hand) and was having a devil of a time getting the display to stabilize. Tore it down and rewired everything and it started working. At this point the breadboard was such a mess I couldn’t get to the “zero” button so I did a cleanup using shorter jumpers. I was back to the display running all over the place. In the end it some of these jumpers I’d picked up cheap as dirt and as it turns out that is about all they are worth. Rewired the circuit again this time just using the 3.3v supply on the Arduino and its working great. The refresh rate looks to be much faster than the stock iGaging display which is a bonus. All the cheap jumpers had round ends so I’ve sorted them out of my wire bin and after checking trashed the lot of them.

Thanks again for posting this, it’s a great project.

Hello Bob,

Looking good. I'm glad it worked.

If you want to change the direction of measurements (positive/negative), just change the definition of SCF for a positive or negative value.
#define SCF -3.906250

The refresh rate is given by DLY; it is a value in milliseconds of wait between measurements. DLY = 100 ms = 10 per second
#define DLY 100

Sneaky little devils your jumpers.

Wagner

No worries. I had the scale upside down so the cord wouldn’t hit the breadboard. And those jumpers are now resting comfortably in the wire recycling bin at work . . . . you know . . save the whales and all that

good morning, I was reviewing the milldrox sketch to implement it in my mill and it is in inches, can someone tell me how to put it in mm ??, thanks in advance. Greetings

Back