Mini-mill in my future?

Thanks @GrayTech!
I experienced TAS today as I searched for a QCTP.
Didn’t commit to anything just yet.
Want to wait for the lathe to actually arrive. Scheduled for Friday delivery.
All 98 lbs of it :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, as the OP for that model tools thread, I would like to invite you to join @ttabbal and the rest of us on that thread. We have had a ton of fun and a lot of the guys have learned to grind some really nice tools in an amazingly short amount of time. For a small lathe like the one you're getting, HSS is probably the best tooling choice for most hobby shop materials. Just PM @Z2V to get on the list for the models and you're on your way.

The grinder type you use is less important than the shape and angles of the tools you grind. As long as you get those right, that's what counts. However, I will tell you that a belt sander will get it done faster, cooler, easier and with fewer facets than a bench grinder.

I originally tried to just have us all send @mikey tool bits to grind. He decided to teach us instead. :) I think we got the better part of that deal!

I still would like to see the look on his face when a hundred lbs of HSS shows up. :)

Last edited:
@mikey I’ll find the thread again tonight and keep reading it.
And I’ll PM @Z2V to get on the list.

I originally tried to just have us all send @mikey tool bits to grind. He decided to teach us instead. :) I think we got the better part of that deal!

I still would like to see the look on his face when a hundred lbs of HSS shows up. :)

Yeah, like that would have happened ...

Got a delivery notification from FedEx a few minutes ago!
I hope my new lathe is waiting for me when I get home!

It’s here!
In an impressively stout crate. No cardboard box here. That’s a wooden crate.
7a00615505149a596678e2e328529bb0.jpg

Anticipation is mounting, eagerly waiting on first pics..... :)

Here are a few teasers.
(I don’t have space on my benches to set it up yet)

Chip tray is intact.
8fb12e5f031e3da7bfb5145ad2e58373.jpg

The tailstock was loose in the bottom but seems just fine.
c26bbda614edb15e53f8212b2ab43da8.jpg

Back