Mini Mill recommendations.

The griz should be sufficient for your stated needs/requirements and is a good fit size-wise for your current lathe. I find mine to be 'big enough for now' for what I'm doing, and it has been a good machine so far although I think I was one of the "quality issues" Ray spoke of above.

I was building competition pistols (1911 style) on a sherline mill and lathe doing work in stainless, titanium, and 4140 on those little guys so the g0704 is a big step up for me.

Above all, have fun. :)

Bill

That's pretty-much the case... The dissatisfaction rate on those machines was totally off-the-charts. The first thing folks do when they buy those machines is "beef them up" in hopes of using them in ways they were never intended. Typically, we were replacing broken parts within a couple weeks of delivery and if not that, folks would ask for a 100% refund toward an upgrade to a larger machine. In the last batch we received, we had 2 machines with a quality problem. Seemingly, only 1 in 10 clients know how to use those machines for the purposes they were intended (mainly aluminum and plastics and approx. 10 thou DoC on soft steel at low head elevation)... All things considered, we were headed toward "the perfect storm" and we lost on average $50 on every unit we sold.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I'm debating between the PM25 and the LMS Mini-mill and my understanding from Matt is that he will be carrying the PM25 again with a BLDC and belt drive. In your opinion, do you think these upgrades will help to mitigate against the high dissatisfaction rate? My main concern is that these are new variables for Precision Matthews (which means they may be another source of issues) whereas LMS has been delivering machines with BLDCs and belt drives for quite a while.

Thanks,
Charlton

Not speaking for Ray, but just so you know, the LMS and PM25 are similar machines design-wise but the PM is a significantly larger (and more capable) machine. I've included a pic of my little shop that shows the PM on the left, and the LMS in the back right. As you can see, there are size differences.

DSCN4203.JPG

I recently converted my PM to a belt drive and love the smoother finish, better speed range, and quieter operation. Next will be a 1100 or 2200 watt BLDC upgrade. These upgrades don't increase the work envelope of the machine IMO, but rather make it a better performer within its limitations.

I'm glad that Matt is upgrading the machines and will carry them again. In the right hands and for the right jobs it is a very capable little machine.

Bill

DSCN4203.JPG

Thanks, Bill. That's a very nice shop. The LMS looks tiny compared to the PM25. I'm actually a bit concerned that the PM25 might be a bit too big. I'm pretty certain the LMS would be sufficient for my needs (mostly in making small things like hand planes [steel/brass] and jigs for guitar-making [al, wood]) but I'm always concerned about that encountering the day when I realize I want to do something that is beyond the capabilities of the small machine (though, admittedly, I have a tendency to over-engineer beyond needs). Of course, I have no machining experience and perhaps just going with the cheaper smaller mill would be a good foray into getting into machining?

Cheers,
Charlton

Not speaking for Ray, but just so you know, the LMS and PM25 are similar machines design-wise but the PM is a significantly larger (and more capable) machine. I've included a pic of my little shop that shows the PM on the left, and the LMS in the back right. As you can see, there are size differences.

View attachment 81128

I recently converted my PM to a belt drive and love the smoother finish, better speed range, and quieter operation. Next will be a 1100 or 2200 watt BLDC upgrade. These upgrades don't increase the work envelope of the machine IMO, but rather make it a better performer within its limitations.

I'm glad that Matt is upgrading the machines and will carry them again. In the right hands and for the right jobs it is a very capable little machine.

Bill

Given what you are wanting the machine for, the LMS will do just fine. One nice thing about the LMS is that I can pick it up and carry it (but not very far). I wouldn't even attempt that with the PM. That's one of the reasons I mounted it and my lathe on tool box lowers: makes 'em easier to move. :)

The LMS is a stout little machine for what it is. Largest end-mill I used on it was a 3/8", and that was a rougher to keep the loading down on the machine. It will do any material you want, you just have to remember to use small(er) end mills and take smaller cuts. The LMS sounds like a good fit for your usage.

Have fun,
Bill

Hi Ray,

I'm debating between the PM25 and the LMS Mini-mill and my understanding from Matt is that he will be carrying the PM25 again with a BLDC and belt drive. In your opinion, do you think these upgrades will help to mitigate against the high dissatisfaction rate? My main concern is that these are new variables for Precision Matthews (which means they may be another source of issues) whereas LMS has been delivering machines with BLDCs and belt drives for quite a while.

Thanks,
Charlton

Belt drive will solve a lot of problems -especially the broken plastic gears... I wouldn't be too worried about the new motor. Virtually all of the Chinese machines that Matt sells have upgraded motors from what the factory normally gets. He's been doing this for many, many years. He sources the motors from the same place. One thing that is very uncommon is motor problems. -We get an occasional bad capacitor which is easily replaced -but that won't happen on a DC motor.

Ray

I Agree 3/8 is a good size for LMS. I could use a 1/2 but it was quicker to just use the 3/8 and make more passes. You are only really limited by the table size and head room as to what youcan do It will just take a little longer.
Given what you are wanting the machine for, the LMS will do just fine. One nice thing about the LMS is that I can pick it up and carry it (but not very far). I wouldn't even attempt that with the PM. That's one of the reasons I mounted it and my lathe on tool box lowers: makes 'em easier to move. :)The LMS is a stout little machine for what it is. Largest end-mill I used on it was a 3/8", and that was a rougher to keep the loading down on the machine. It will do any material you want, you just have to remember to use small(er) end mills and take smaller cuts. The LMS sounds like a good fit for your usage.Have fun,Bill

I Agree 3/8 is a good size for LMS. I could use a 1/2 but it was quicker to just use the 3/8 and make more passes. You are only really limited by the table size and head room as to what you can do It will just take a little longer.

I read that a lot but personally, I swing a lot of full size tooling in my X2. R8 boring head, 3 in. fly cutter, 3/4 and 1" endmills. Not ideal but it works.

Back