Mini Mill X Power Feed

I ordered 2 motors today. I agree if motor one dies in a few months they may no longer be in stock or the chase for a replacement would make having a spare on hand a wise move.
If I have a spare it will never die... which isn't bad either. I had a couple of round type gear motors but the sliding shaft is a easy method to disengage. I also didn't think they were powerful enough.
I don't think the Sieg unit is designed to be easily disconnected on the fly.

I have mine running with the power seat motor setup. However I cheated! I decided to try using the 4mm shaft sliding to connect and disconnect. As long as everything is aligned it seems to work fine.
If for some reason it isn't suitable long term it would be easy to modify. I still need to bend a sheet metal case cover for the motor drive. The electronics are in a plastic project box for swarf short protection.
I never have been a big fan of electrical shorts and a plastic enclosure seems fine unless there is a heating issue.

I have mine running with the power seat motor setup. However I cheated! I decided to try using the 4mm shaft sliding to connect and disconnect. As long as everything is aligned it seems to work fine.
If for some reason it isn't suitable long term it would be easy to modify. I still need to bend a sheet metal case cover for the motor drive. The electronics are in a plastic project box for swarf short protection.
I never have been a big fan of electrical shorts and a plastic enclosure seems fine unless there is a heating issue.

That's a good idea. I'm sure there's a way for the 4mm shaft to go directly to the lead screw and engage/disengage. Wish I'd have thought of that! Post some pictures when it's done!

Oh yeah. It's a strong little motor. Probably some gear reduction going on in the right angle gear box that gives it plenty of torque.

I got to thinking about a power seat motor with a 200 lb rump plus the weight of the seat and mechanical resistance. A mini mill is nothing next to that job.
The 4mm keystock isn't easy to find local so I got a 12" 3/16" and milled two sides. Better support it well when you mill it! 6" is all you need and trim it to length.

Here is the "direct connect" version. I ended up making two control boxes. I had a urge to try the readout to see if was helpful in duplicating feed rates.284_zpsjwibmqsh.jpg 271_zpsmucb4tyx.jpg

284_zpsjwibmqsh.jpg

284_zpsjwibmqsh.jpg

271_zpsmucb4tyx.jpg

271_zpsmucb4tyx.jpg

Very cool! Nicely done. Will keep this concept in mind in case I need to rebuild mine. Could you post your source/parts for the readout?

Back